Dog owners warned switching to walking harness could land them with £5,000 fine

We walk our Bassett Hound on a harness as the collar is useless. Bassett’s! have so much loose skin under their chin that the lead falls off her head at the slightest pressure. But she stills wears a collar with a name tag on it.

3 Likes

All our dogs and our cat had collar tags and chipped. What I would say is try training an Afghan Hound Even a well know TV Trainer Barbara Woodhouse failed miserable. Oh yes we crossed swords often at shows ,she hated the sight of me because i showed her up at an outdoor champ show. But that is another story

1 Like

I’m really sorry. This I would find very disturbing. Our dogs bring me so much joy I can’t imagine not having one. What about a tiny Yorkie poo or some type of miniature hybrid? They’re tiny; average about 4 to 5 pounds.

4 Likes

My last dog was a rat terrier. I love small dogs. I want a miniature pincher, but I live in a small one bedroom and I want room for any dog to run around. I’ll wait I’m looking for a bigger place with a yard.

4 Likes

So this is only temporary. A bigger place with a yard sounds fabulous. Everyone should have a dog. :grin: I wish you the best in picking out your furry companion. Small dogs are awesome. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I thank you, however the dog usually picks me. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’d be bringing them back home with me and be had up for dog theft.

This is just yet another express clickbait non news headline. The law has been around since 1992 and isn’t enforced.

1 Like

Can’t find any mention of a harness in the legislation :

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1992/901/article/2/made

Subject to paragraph (2) below, every dog while in a highway or in a place of public resort shall wear a collar with the name and address of the owner inscribed on the collar or on a plate or badge attached to it.

(2) Paragraph (1) above shall not apply to—

(a)any pack of hounds,

(b)any dog while being used for sporting purposes,

(c)any dog while being used for the capture or destruction of vermin,

(d)any dog while being used for the driving or tending of cattle or sheep,

(e)any dog while being used on official duties by a member of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces or Her Majesty’s Customs and Excise or the police force for any area,

(f)any dog while being used in emergency rescue work, or

(g)any dog registered with the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association.

Oh is it? It came through on my phone from other places, but when I looked online to post it here, the express was the first I saw. I didn’t know it had been since early 90’s! :astonished: As if there aren’t more newsworthy items to report on! :roll_eyes:

A harness is the best. My dogs are chipped and their harnesses are tagged.

it says only one dog owner has been fined. Probably reported by some dog hater or perhaps the dog was a pest. But a cocker spaniel isn’t a dangerous breed. I think the legislation was to prevent strays or control dangerous dogs but it was brought in before dogs were chipped. These days most are chipped so this is a silly law to apply to all dogs. I can understand why it was important before chipping came in.

2 Likes

That’s great Danny! At least you’re contributing to those lovely fur babies finding a home!

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Trouble is I want to take them all home!! :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Oh I don’t doubt it! I would be the same :grin:

1 Like

Well yes…I didn’t get why the sudden furore…but then I always thought dog licences were a good idea, but somehow they weren’t enforced, so became obsolete.

2 Likes

I think this will be like “jay walking” in the U.S. Jay walking is crossing the road anywhere except maked cross walks. This has been a law all my life. A law everyone in the U.S. knows, and one that is broken constantly, in fact here in Denver they cross where ever. My point is I have never seen anyone ticketed for this offence. It’s just to minor for the police to deal with.

That made me laugh out loud…

Sounds about right . Fine people walking their dog in a harness better than going to a pykey camp and arresting some thieving criminals .

1 Like

The Express must have had a lot of clicks today… still cannot find any references to a harness in the actual legislation.