Dog Cage In Your Car

Does anyone here have a dog crate in their car?

Have you attached it to the car?

I have just attached my dog cage to the inside of my car, using the seat belts, as it would be rather dangerous travelling with a heavy dog crate in the back of one’s car, especially if one was involved in an accident.

Just wondered how you managed ferrying your dog/s around in your car, it’s also dangerous allowing the dog to sit on the front seat, that’s unless he/ she has a seat belt of course.

We have Alf in the boot , 5 door suv ( parcel shelf taken out ) with a soft bed to lie on, seat belts are done up on the back seats to prevent him coming through should perish the thought any thing untoward happen .Do have a doggy guard up as well, but he’s good in the car.

1 Like

Hi caricature, I don’t have a dog guard, Jack my dog doesn’t travel in the car usually, unfortunately we both had to travel in my car as in an emergency ,a week or two back, so I put Jack in the boot, without the rack on top, not only did he jump over the seats, he urinated in the boot and soaked it, he was stressed, …so now, I have put his old dog cage in the boot and attached it with the seat belts, he’s very familiar with this crate as he was trained to travel in it as a puppy, …it will also keep us both safe and will contain any urine he passes.

I have to go back to Newbury on Tues, so hence securing the dog cage in the car,:grinning:.

Just wondered how others coped transporting their dogs in an emergency, I guess I should have mentioned that in my opening post,:thinking:

For my dachshund I just have an adjustable dog safety belt for the backseat.

1 Like

Yes, I used to have one of those for Jack, Dachs, when he was much younger, he loved it.

1 Like

Alf doesn’t mind car travel usually means he’s off somewhere exciting. When we go up to the daughters he’s alright, it a 200 mile trip and a little over three hrs, but we stop at Gloucester services which is mid point so he’s only in there for 90/100 minutes before we walk him around the services which have dog walking facility’s .

1 Like

I travel in the back seat with Ellie , she has a Harness which comes with an attachement which goes into the seat belt fitment . so she cannot move to the front , but allows her to turn on the back seat to get comfy,.

1 Like

My dog Mungo is the best traveler ever . He goes in the back on a nice bed ( it’s an SUV with plenty of room ) . We don’t use a dog guard because he has never not once tried to jump over which he easily could do .
We have traveled through France and Spain with him many times . We stop every two hours and have a walk around. him and us .

1 Like

I think my little man will be happy travelling in his old cage, as you can see I attached it securely with the seat belts , I hate to see jack stressed, especially now that he’s so elderly…,

The only down side is, no one can sit on the back seats, as they had to go down, otherwise the cage wouldn’t have fitted…I feel so much better that it’s in there for him and he’s nice and secure.:heartpulse:

AS I understand it the law states a dog must be restrained away from the driver. it doesn’t specify how.
We have always used a crate and all the dogs we have had over the so many years have been happy to be in it. Always had an estate vehicle so no problem putting on in

1 Like

[quote=“pauline3, post:1, topic:93722”]
Does anyone here have a dog crate in their car?[/quote]

Guilty as charged. Max is happy in the back seat. We travelled lots with him including trips to Scotland (400 miles.).

1 Like

I see quite a few dog cages in the owners car, some aren’t secured, I’m surprised it’s not law to secure a dog cage in one’s car.?

I don’t drive or have a car, but if I did, I would use a doggy seatbelt I think. I feel a cage is too restrictive if the dog needs to escape quickly. I could be wrong, of course…maybe its safer to have the dog enclosed. But I do like this

1 Like

Thats what I use for Ellie .

2 Likes

I must say I do feel relief having his dog cage back in the car ,even though I had to put the back seats down.

He was panting all the way to Newbury and all the way back, which was a distraction ,he was stressed and I was stressed because he was stressed, anyway, it all sorted now.

Butter wouldn’t melt!..:sweat_smile::heartpulse:

We have this for Loki. I then hook him to his lead on case he tries to jump out but he never dies. He lays down like its a bed

1 Like

I love that, practical as well…I bought Jacks cage at least 13 yrs ago…so it’s dated, but it does the job,:+1:

Elsie labrador has a seat belt and sits on the back seat, we’ve tried all sorts of things for Betty chihuahua but she either hates them or manages to wiggle out so she has to sit on my knee in the front attached to my seat belt. All our previous dogs had cages in the back attached to the seat belts but after we had a crash we decided not to use them again. I believe if our yorkie hadn’t been in a cage we could have got him out of the car quicker, when the flames are licking round you quickness is key.

2 Likes

Thats a scary story, Twister :scream:

It was scary at the time I can assure you then realising we had to get three dogs home and we were not able to take them in the tow truck put the icing on the cake that day.

1 Like