Does anyone know the origins of this song?

My grandparents and parents used to sing this song. I cannot find it anywhere online other than one person who wrote about it on the old 50s forum. Does anyone know it and who created it / where it came from?

“We’ve been out gathering flowers, out in the bright sunshine, Passing away happy hours, with that old sweetheart of mine. Take them from me as a token, I lay them down at your feet.

Don’t let our friendship be broken, accept all these flowers so sweet. There are Roses and Lillie’s, Violets blue, Snowdrops, and Pansies, bright Primroses too, Sweet Williams and Fuchsias, sweetheart for you, in my sweet little basket of flowers.”

2 Likes

I reasonably well up with music and songs, but those lyrics are not familiar to me; I’ve also tried them in a search engine and came up with nothing, so whomsoever wrote it, did not publish it, but that said, I’m presuming they were English and not from another country.
Mrs LD thought it might be words spoken by Twister Turrill in Lark Rise to Candleford, a TV series.

Though the road be one ray of sunshine As onward through life we must go Praying that nothing should part us Nor death separate us two. Though the road be one ray of sunshine As the flowers we pluck so sweet Don’t let our friendship be broken I lay them down at your feet.

I found that HERE Item 64

1 Like

Sorry,Roseannefox, I have no idea of it’s origin, Welcome to OFC, hope you enjoy your stay, in the meantime and tell us a bit about yourself.:grinning::grinning:.

Hope to see you joining in the conversation real soon!:grinning: