Does anyone else find this worrying?

All of our food that is not for cooking goes into our ozone machine before we eat any of it. I trust nobody from picker to vendor with my fresh foodšŸ¤¬

No. Let someone else do it.

Most of the fruit and veg that is packed into plastic packages has already been handled by the pickers and packers, so it needs washing anyway.

For example, a lot of green beans sold in UK supermarkets are imported from Kenya.
Iā€™ve visited an agri-produce plant where they pick and pack green beans in Kenya and believe me, they donā€™t use anti-bacterial gel or wear rubber gloves!
I fully understand why the supermarket packages of green beans advise you to wash before use!

Then thereā€™s traces of pesticides to wash off - Iā€™ll never forget the day I ate a cherry before I washed them - within seconds my lips were burning and they came up in blisters - I can only assume there was some residual pesticide chemical on it. The damage to my lips took months for my body to repair.

Same goes for apples, pears etc - I would never trust they were completely free of pesticides, so I wash them before eating -

Then any root veg needs washing after growing in the earth -

thorough washing also takes care of the issue of anyone who may have prodded or poked your produce before you bought it.

6 Likes

And what do you do with the plastic waste, Boot ?
Do you recycle it or dump it like AT?

If I knew how to post a Poll, Iā€™d do a recycling poll asking if folks recycle

Cardboard
Paper
Glass
Silver Foil
Soft Plastic
Hard Plastic
Anything Else
No, throw it away and get someone else to do it

Thatā€™s always been my assumption. I also wash fish and meat for the same reason & to get rid of any congealed blood. They advise us not to wash meat but I do anyway and we never have had food poisoning.

In terms of the OP I always thought best before dates or use by dates on fruit and veg were to get us to throw it out and buy more, generating revenue for the supermarkets. They should provide ā€œpicked onā€ date instead.

1 Like

A ā€œpicked onā€ date would be brilliant!

1 Like

The only thing that goes into my landfill bin is used tissues.

My council picks up all recycling, other than soft plastics, I take them to my local Co-Op and blister packs I take to Superdrugs.

What plastic waste @ruthio ?
I have already posted that I always try to buy my fruit and veg loose whenever possible - I take my own re-usable cloth bag to the market stall on Wednesday and Saturday to buy my fruit and veg - or call at the High Street greengrocers. If I buy fruit & veg from a supermarket, I try to buy it loose if possible.
I try to buy seasonal produce and avoid stuff with lots of air miles - luckily I live in area where most folk grow lots of fruit and veg in their gardens and we share it with each other when itā€™s ready to harvest.

If I do buy stuff in plastic, such as a punnet of soft fruit in Summer, I recycle the plastic punnet in my recycling bin.

Very little goes in to my landfill bin - most waste can be composted in my garden compost or recycled, either in the recycling bin or by taking it to the local tip.

1 Like

Well Iā€™ve done my environmental bit - and more. Weā€™ve had three heat pumps installed, weā€™ve zoned our home, we have only led bulbs, our AGA is only very seldom lit, and weā€™ve had a 5kW wind generator installed and thatā€™s the end of it as far as Iā€™m concerned. We recycle NOTHING. Everything goes into the general rubbish bin and we have no intention of changing any time soon.

Much of our ā€œrecycledā€ plastic ends up shipped abroad where it ends up in landfill or beaches. More biodegradables are needed. Iā€™m sure they are working on that.

1 Like

I try to recycle everything I canā€¦although it doesnā€™t help when each bin gets picked up every 4 weeks!

1 Like

Your council doesnā€™t collect anything?

Every council has a recycling policy. Unfortunately Todger threw the flyer about it in the binā€¦ :joy:

1 Like

Our recycling is picked up every week and landfill every three weeks. There was talks about the whole of the country going to the same recycling system as ours. Not sure about Scotland though.

Didnā€™t even look at it. We decided right from the start that we would never sort our refuse. Consider it a point of principle. The most we do is put veg bits onto the compost heap our gardener uses.

Ok, but Iā€™m still struggling to understand what principles of yours, is it that recycling violates?

We are not prepared to sort refuse. Itā€™s beneath our dignity.

1 Like

Oh please! You have to be kidding me right? :joy:

Some things are not sold loose though, Boot. LIke, in my local Asda, they donā€™t have loose Grapes, or loose Strawberries, or even lettuce, or tomatoes.

Especially if theyā€™ve just been in the loo! :grinning: