Does anybody call you “our”

I went to a funeral in the week. It was my mum’s last sibling, she was from a family of twelve, the end of an era

Anyway sitting among my cousins and family I realised only they call me “our Mary”. As in “look, our Mary’s over there” “Ask our Mary”, “give our Mary a cup of tea”

Only my mum’s family do it, it a West Country thing or do people do it everywhere?

I must admit, when I thought about it, I’m rather touched to be “our Mary”

2 Likes

Short answer - yes
I always thought it was a northern thing, especially in Lancashire & Manchester

2 Likes

Some people do me that way my sister being one of them. I think it’s general rather than a particular region.

1 Like

Yes, when Mum and Dad were still here I used to get ‘our Bob’…
I thought it was a Yorkshire thing…
:thinking:

1 Like

Yes, it has always been my belief that it is mainly a Northern thing, to be more precise Yorkshire.

2 Likes

I’ve always lived in the south west but I’ve never heard the term ‘our’ used in my family or from others. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Interesting. My mum’s family go back literally hundreds of years in Bradford on Avon. So definitely south west. But Bradford was a weaving town with connections to Yorkshire. I wonder if the workers brought the expression with them?

All of them call their mothers and fathers “our mum” and “our dad”

1 Like

They even do it in other countries.

1 Like

When I was young I remember most of my family calling family our Arthur, or Helen and many other names & I think we did it because family members were important to us.
My cousin has lived in Australia for over 50 years and her husband often sends me e mails to tell me how she is & what they are doing.
She is in her 80’s now and my greatest memory of her was that she showed me how to take the shell off hard boiled eggs when I was a child. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: She is still our Helen to me!

1 Like

I live on Merseyside and it’s pretty much standard, here. Also, “our kid” is used, meaning brother or sister.

1 Like

Not really our, but my brother always talks about my SiL as ‘my Axxxx’. (Her name after my). Yes, I think I know who she is, lol.

1 Like

I’ve not heard ‘our’ referring to members of the family, said around my way.

Do you know where l’ve heard it said the most? On this forum!
Or, in television comedies set in Liverpool…like ‘Bread’.
Cilla Black used it a lot!

1 Like

Yes, referring to family members as “our Mary” , “our John” , “our Lad / Lass” , “our Mam / our Dad” was the norm where I grew up on the borders of Durham and Yorkshire.

I haven’t noticed my siblings using it so much in recent years, and neither do I, but it was very common when we were all growing up together in the North East.

1 Like

I was born in Lancashire and my grandma always used it .

1 Like

Never.Usually my family want to disown me.

1 Like

How lovely to feel you belong

1 Like

Susan we all belong to our families, whether we like it or not! :rofl:
I just think that using the word “our” before the name makes us happy because it implies that family members are happy to have us as part of their family.

Years ago, when families were bigger, I think saying “Our Mary” made it easier for people to know who you were talking about, because we all had more aunties, sisters & cousins!

2 Likes

Maree I think OUR it’s lovely … A term of endearment…it means you belong .

2 Likes

Funny … my big bother used to call me ‘our kid’ with a Liverpudlian accent when I was little. We were born & raised in Glos.

1 Like

For as long as i rcan remember “our” was and still is used.
I use it all the time,our mom/our dad etc.

1 Like