Do you watch cartoons or anime?

I do like cartoons but don’t watch any now much.

Old favourites were Yogi Bear, Duckula and the Flintstones. And when my boys were young, we used to like Thundercats

“Thundercats are go!”

2 Likes

I watch cartoons loved series like Johnny Quest from 70;s, Scooby Doo, Justice League, HR Puffnstuff… Loved the Saturday morning cartoons and the classics cartoons of course.

Then I found anime and well I watch it in Japanese with subtitles… lol purest. Just finished watching Castlevania and The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf on Netflix fantastic but it is the Witcher of course it is not for kids though. Nor are they classified as anime as they are done in the style but British made I believe I could talk at great length of my fondest for anime.

1 Like

Used to watch Popeye as a child .

I loved Avatar don’t know if it counts as a cartoon

1 Like

I’d be interested to hear about it, whether in this thread or one you create. Sounds fun.

That’s my favorite. It absolutely counts. That one is great because it could be kid friendly while also appealing to adults. Have you seen the sequel with Korra?

Hmm well the title could add Anime to it. Instead of a separate thread less band width lol. I know its expensive to run a site. Or just talk about it anyways.

1 Like

Done. Title changed to add anime. Go for it! :smiley:

1 Like

I was first introduced to Anime as a child in Canada. I first watched Kimba the White Lion, known in Japan as Jungle Emperor, is a Japanese shōnen manga series. As I grew older Speed Racer and Star Blazers was added. Then Astro Boy which led me to Mecha is a genre of Japanese manga and anime that heavily features or focuses on mechanical innovation. Robots, cyborgs, androids, and space stations, for example, all fall under the wide umbrella of mecha; however, robots are usually the primary focus. Voltron : the legend begins being my first foray into it. Then we get Transformers and Mobile suit Gundam and my all time favorite of Mecha Neon Genesis Evangelion the list is long and this woman was devouring as much as I could find. I was rabid for it. I liked to watch it in Japanese with English subtitles. Here is a sample…

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Then I started watching other types of Japanese anime which I will discuss later…

1 Like

I tried watching Astro Boy from my online library. They have a lot of the series, I think. It’s in black and white. Is that right?

I didn’t understand enough of what was happening and why. It seemed fairly arbitrary to me.

I’ll look up some of the other titles you mention and see if i can get any on my online libraries to sample. It’s not that I’m not interested. It’s that it’s hard to understand what I’m watching.

Thanks for posting some of that information. It might help me get more of a sense of what I’m missing (or not). Could be a matter of taste, but my lack of understanding of it left me feeling bewildered.

1 Like

It might have been in black and white but honestly I do not remember I do remember it in colour though. Mind you I do think we got a coloured telly till 1973 ?

1 Like

Hayao Miyazaki is a Japanese animator, director, producer, screenwriter, author, and manga artist. A co-founder of Studio Ghibli, he has attained international acclaim as a masterful storyteller. His movies are amazing visually and story wise. I am sure some of you have see one or two at the cinema or on a streaming service. Spirited away, Princess Mononoke and Howl’s Moving Castle being dubbed for the English audiences. I try again to watch in Japanese with English subtitles as I am a purist lol…here is an example of one of his animes.

1 Like

Miyazaki is my absolute favorite. I’ve seen a lot of his stuff. Spirited Away is my favorite. At one time, I tried to see everything I could find of his. I’ve seen My neighbor Totoro, Howl’s Moving Castle, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Porco Rosso.

I watched them all on CD from my library many years ago. I only vaguely remember some of them but the titles are very familiar.

I’ve watched Spirited Away several times. It’s spectacular.

I just read that many of MIyazaki’s works are on HBO Max streaming. There’s also a special on HBO Max in the US for $7.49 for 6 mos. Special ends tomorrow. I wasn’t tempted before. I’m thinking about it now.

I got the HBO Max deal. The selection of Studio Ghibli stuff is way bigger than I thought. There are all the movies in my list and a bunch more.

When I had looked at HBO Max in the past, I wasn’t impressed. I like more TV shows than movies, but when I got into the app, there are way more things that they don’t advertise. There are cartoons going back to the 1930’s. There’s crunchy roll, DC Marvel multiverse, kids’s cartoons and so much more. I read that there’s also Turner Classics Movies, but I haven’t come across that yet. I’m still exploring the app.

If people in the US like cartoons, they might like HBO Max. Unfortunately, while it’s going to Europe in October and more countries in 2022, there are no plans for the UK yet.

1 Like

No, didn’t watch cartoons much as a child, and don’t watch them now. The anime doesn’t hold my interest either.
Guess I am a realist gal. Show me a real face, real eyes, real expressions and then you have me at hello. :blush:
I am partial to emojis, though.

I can’t comment on anime, as I’ve never watched any. Like a lot if kids, I was bought up on a diet of Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny, Roadrunner and all the others. These days, cartoons like this are considered too politically incorrect, stereotyping and offensive for today’s audience, although I have never met anyone who has been somehow traumatised by cartoon antics . This is why cartoons today are lame and unwatchable.

2 Likes

I loved cartoons as a child, road runner was so funny but wasn’t he evil lol. Flintstones was another favourite. I dont watch them now but I like animated films, frozen, beauty and the beast, tangled and others. Polar express is my favourite Christmas animation, if you haven’t seen it I recommend it.

This is so very true on all counts. I loved the old cartoons growing up, and enjoyed the Saturday morning ones with the kids as they grew up too. I just remember them with fondness now and sad that that so many kids programmes are sanitised beyond help :frowning:

1 Like

I used to love watching cartoons with my children when they were young and listening to them laughing.

I don’t like ‘todays’ cartoons though, I find nothing appealing in them for young children and there is nothing they can learn from them.

There again, times have changed, we are in different era :worried:

There is a lot of Anime on Netflix here in Canada. I also have a lot of DVD’s and blue ray of anime’s… I purchased before the streaming services came to be, like most folks did…

1 Like

While yes, anime is technically a 'type" cartoon, it is not Bugs Bunny or even Justice League. It is a genre more for teens and adults. The stories can be rich and complex. They pull you in and keep you hooked.

1 Like