Do You Wash Your Recyclable Items Before You Put them in The Recycling Bin?

Same with us.

i clean out the council recycle bin every 12 months, whether it needs it or not

1 Like

I wash everything out then crumple it up to save room. Donā€™t want to be the talk of the steamie with my smelly rubbish! :joy:

1 Like

Binbusters do it for us - twice a month.

Like all the above, I rinse out all recyclable containers.

Peanut butter jars are definitely the worst to wash out. I should ban my son eating it, horrible stuff. :nauseated_face:

Horrid stuff!

1 Like

I never buy peanut butterā€¦ yuk!

1 Like

My peanut butter usually comes wrapped in chocolate just a wrapper to throw away. :rofl: :rofl:

It makes nice biscuits!

oh this is so funny Maree! Surely itā€™s difficult to ā€œlayā€ wine bottles. Donā€™t they make a racket?

1 Like

Iā€™m wondering whether reeses have a different recipe in the US. You can buy them here but they taste like (very high fat/sweet) chocolate covered wood shavings. Yet when I first tasted them in the US in the late 80s it seemed like Iā€™d died and gone to heaven.

2 Likes

can you make biscuits out of peanut butter? (intrigued now).

itā€™s very nice in a milkshake, not that I can be bothered but I once had a very nice milkshake with peanut butter back in the 90s :blush:

They are one thing I donā€™t recycle, I keep them because they are a useful plastic 1kg jar.

When they are empty I just half fill them with scalding water from the hot tap, add a drop of washing up liquid, throw in the scourer, put the lid back on and give it a good shake. Job done!

3 Likes

Oh Yes - and they are delicious!

PEANUT BUTTER BISCUITS

Ingredients
ā€¢ 200g peanut butter (crunchy or smooth is fine)
ā€¢ 175g golden caster sugar
ā€¢ Ā¼ tsp fine table salt
ā€¢ 1 large egg

Method

Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line 2 large baking trays with baking parchment.

Measure the peanut butter and sugar into a bowl. Add Ā¼ tsp fine table salt and mix well with a wooden spoon. Add the egg and mix again until the mixture forms a dough.

Break off cherry sized chunks of dough and place, well spaced apart because they spread, on the trays. Press the biscuits down with the back of a fork to squash them a little. The biscuits can now be frozen for 2 months, cook from frozen adding an extra min or 2 to the cooking time.

Bake for 12 mins, until golden around the edges and paler in the centre. Cool on the trays for 10 mins, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. Store in a biscuit tin for to 3 days.

1 Like

Well, Yes, Iā€™m sure the recycling blokes are judging me but e have to put our recycling boxes out on the pavement on collection day and I donā€™t want casual pedestrians having a nose and seeing my shame :rofl:

1 Like

We are lucky - our boxes have lids - hide a multitude of sins in them!

Ooh, Iā€™d kill for a lid, weā€™re not allowed.

Doesnā€™t taking the lid on and off slow down the recycling blokes?

Our lot grab the box quick and tip it into the right compartment on the lorry

1 Like

Doesnā€™t seem to bother them. :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

Those peanut butter biscuits sound lovelyā€¦once I have a proper kitchen I might have a go at them.

No lids here on our recycling boxes different boxes for different thingsā€¦paper and cardboard in one glass metal and plastic in anotherā€¦yes I rinse out any food in trays tins etc I read somewhere that if you donā€™t they are rejected anyway so not doing defeats the purpose.

1kg!!..as my grandmother used to sayā€¦'A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips"