Do You Wash Your Recyclable Items Before You Put them in The Recycling Bin?

We have those here too, Bruce, but only for general waste. Our recycling (in my area anyway) goes into boxes - one for glass, one for card/paper - they both have lids, and one for plastic/tin - that one has a ‘cargo net’ topper.

They stopped paying that here years ago!

As far as I know Reese’s has always been the same since I was growing up. :laughing: :laughing:

our recycling bin is kept behind the locked back gate to stop any mischief such as when neighbours have a full bin and then add to the bins of others. I once had a box with the address of a neighbour dumped in our bin. I went to their house and said I think this is yours. She said no that’s not mine. I said look your address is on it. She wasn’t even embarrassed. Said her husband must have done it. Worst thing is if someone dumps landfill in the recycle bin. Best not to risk having a missed collection.

either we have some sort of “modified for British palates” version or my tastebuds have changed. It just tasted so much better in the US.

1 Like

I’m certain there’s a jar of peanut butter lurking in the back of the cupboard…

1 Like

Ah yes here it is…

So my question is: would you…

A. Throw the jar and its contents into the bin
B. Throw the contents into the bin and wash and recycle the glass jar
C. Happily make biscuits (see recipe above) then wash and recycle the glass jar

They have to be washed out or they can’t be recycled. I wash out all of the plastic containers, tins, glass jars and lids.

I would give it a whirl in making biscuits then wash/recycle the glass jar. However, I would feed the biscuits to the swans I have to admit.

Open the jar and taste it first. If it tastes OK then, fine, make the biscuits. If not, then bin the butter and recycle the jar.

Is it unopened? If so … Open it - sniff it - if it doesn’t smell rancid - and arachis oil stinks when it has gone off - then touch the surface - if it is hard/crusty - throw it out - if it is still soft - use it to make biscuits - the heat will destroy any bugs. If, however, it has already been opened - bin the butter - recycle the jar.

1 Like

Shame on you, Pixie, if they are not good enough for you - then they are certainly not good enough for swans!!

2 Likes

Awww I’m sorry…if I liked the taste I would certainly eat it myself…I just can’t abide the stuff, personally. And I like wildlife, who are struggling so much in this harsh weather…far be it for me to deny them some hearty home made biccies :innocent: :joy:

2 Likes

I which case - you are forgiven! :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

Thank you…I feel extra special now since you forgave me on your birthday :joy:

2 Likes

I go through the same train of thought when washing mine, Annie. Imagine my frustration when I found out that our city is currently dumping all the recyclables in the same location as the regular garbage because of Covid, labor shortages, and a lack of contracts to buy the stuff. Worse, the city isn’t informing the residents. I feel like I wasted a lot of water and electricity heating that water. With 10% of materials being recycled in the best of times, I’ve always sensed it’s been a bit of a ruse. I hope it’s better over there!

1 Like

Mom nice to see you here. It’s been a while.

Over here we export a large % our recycling to countries where it has been found to end up as landfill…

1 Like

I always wash mine when i do the washing up.
Watched this programme on TV

Yes it’s depressing isn’t it.

1 Like

Yes :frowning_face:

1 Like