Do you think

Don't Leave Your Comfort Zone, Expand It

I rather like the mental picture of a dart board where your comfort zone is the bulls eye.

Ever read the book Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway?

2 Likes

I have always been aware that you must venture away and expand your comfort zone, else you’ll never grow as a person. New adventures and experiences make you appreciate other folks, and what they are about. How do we appreciate the deeds and risks others take if we don’t try new things ourselves?

The risks I’ve taken in life, traveling along for hundreds and thousand of miles, deterring would be criminals, offering helping hands to others despite danger to myself, and most of all, enjoying a satisfying pleasure, have all been worth the effort.

I am sure I don’t speak for myself in saying the comfort zone is NOT the safest place to spend your days, as your days are limited in life. Try a new adventure, you’re gonna love it!

4 Likes

I think one of the problems with always staying in your comfort zone is that if you do that your comfort zone shrinks, especially as you get older

If you’re not careful you let it be become a comfort prison you’re afraid to step out of

2 Likes

Whoa! That’s deep :astonished:

3 Likes

Covid hasn’t helped with that either. I won’t go into crowded places now. When I go to Tesco it’s later evening when there aren’t many people shopping. I haven’t been anywhere where lots of people will be for 2 years.

Not if you keep inviting people into your comfort zone. :icon_wink:

I’ll have you know I’m very choosy who I let near my comfort zone! :rofl:

But couldn’t that end up like having them visit you in the prison you’ve created yourself?

Break free!

May I ask why,Tiff?

I had a terrible phobia once for many years, I had to take tranquillisers prescribed for me…I couldn’t go into crowded places…I would also have a drink as well, before I could go outside the door, I suffered with severe / crippling anxiety.

I don’t like stepping out of my comfort zone, I don’t like change at all but I do it on a regular basis especially at work because changes are made all the time there. I think I adapt to change ok but again, I don’t like it, I suppose I’m a bit boring and want things to stay as they are just to make my life easier. But does it make my life easier? Hmmm I don’t know, I need to ponder on that one because some changes are made to make life easier if you get my meaning. Oh well, I know what I mean.

I think once you have stepped out of that comfort zone it feels very liberating because you’ve proved to yourself that you won’t be beaten.

1 Like

Someone once observed the difference between a rut & a grave was simply their respective depths.

I love pushing my own boundarie. I have tried parachuting, rock climbing & caving. Had a go at motorcycle racing & worked in high access. I went back into education in my early 20’s after leaving school with no real qualifications & have walked out of a secure &reasonably well paid job to go bus driving & to get the job I needed to pass my PSV driving test, a test with a 50 - 60% pass rate. I then left that job to take my HGV tests… HGV 2, the ridgid & then the HGV1, articulated test. Both have a pas rate of just under 50% & I really needed both.

1 Like

Nowadaze, it is easy to forget what we achieved because we are living so long.

Good grief, Pauline, that must have made life very difficult for you.

When I’m sitting in my comfort zone, all warm and cosy, I find it so easy to say “Yes, I’ll do that” - then the day dawns when I have to do whatever it was I promised to do. Flubberdubberlubalub, why did I ever agree to do this, I ask myself, as I get ready to launch myself from the comfort zone - I must be bloomin mad, I mutter, as my heart pounds and the hot flushes of panic ebb and flow.
Then when it’s all over and I’ve done that thing and I’m riding home on Cloud 9 - then I realise, once again, that nothing turns out to be as scary as the fear of doing it.
Though it’s still very nice to get home and snuggle back into my comfort zone, with a fluffy blanket and a mug of cocoa.

2 Likes

Mainly Covid, Pauline, we were in lock down & had to stay in anyway, then it eased & we were freer, but all the things we would have done got cancelled, then another lock down & this year early my Son was diagnosed with a brain tumour & we were told he was very vulnerable & we were advised to not do things which could give us Covid. He had an op then radio therapy. We had had all the jabs then, the first & second, Son, Daughter & I, but still not good to mix with a lot of people, so we didn’t, cancelled anything booked. For weeks all we saw was the hospital & Tesco. It is still like that now, though we have all had our booster jabs. We are in limbo at present, so although we take Son out, we don’t do much else.

1 Like

Tiff, I do hope your son is continuing to recover from his brain op, lovely to see such a bonded family unit,:pray:…stay safe.

Thank you, Pauline, early days yet, his op was a partial success, surgeon couldn’t remove it all though, he had another MRI scan in December & it hadn’t grown, he has more tests in February & the result will say what more treatment he needs.

1 Like

Depends on what you want, or hope, to achieve.

Lots of prayers going up,Tiff, so pleased to hear it hadn’t grown.:pray:

1 Like

Thanks again Pauline.
He seems well at present, has lots of medication. His driving license was taken from him before his op & he’ll never be allowed to drive again. He has accepted that, but still has his car. Who knows what the future will bring, we take each day as it arrives.

2 Likes

I used to step out of my comfort zone quite often when I was working because I found that was the only way to learn new methods, processes and procedures. I still do on occasion because, IMO, if you stay in your comfort zone, you never learn anything new and will stagnate.

1 Like