Do you think you'll be able?

Yes, that worries me too, Muddy.
I would probably get one of those mobility buggies I suppose, at least I could still get out a bit then.
I suppose I’d have to get the bulk of my shopping delivered then, too.

If one day I couldn’t keep a dog anymore, that’s what would finish me. I couldn’t live entirely alone.

This is commonplace isn’t it? What can they do in 15 minutes?
Must confess to not knowing what the going rate is for private carers here .

do you ever wonder if you’ll be able to run your home exactly as you do now ? This weighs heavily on my mind . We all worry about different things I suppose ?
Hi Zuleika :slightly_smiling_face: that is something that weighs on my mind too. Even now I can’t do as much as I once did and I know I will never be able to do DIY and decorating ever again. I don’t like having tradesmen of any kind in my house so wonder what I will do .
Keeping the house as I like it is a struggle now (I have recently developed a problem with both hips and my spine) I wondered the other day how do people in wheelchairs manage to clean the house.

You are putting words into my mouth yet again .

I haven’t managed ,I am managing, and hopefully will continue to do so ,but I refuse to look at the negative side of life and embrace the positive and therein is the difference between your thought process and mine.

The two biggest things you can do to stay healthy as you age is exercise and eat well. Some of the foods that we eat are really, really bad for the body and that’s one of the major causes of chronic conditions — and not exercising.

Keeping your brain sharp is also critical if you want to be able to make informed decisions about your health care. The old adage, ‘If you don’t use it, you lose it,’ is 100 percent correct.

Continually worrying about what lies ahead will solve nothing and if you are that concerned then make a contingency plan and prepare yourself for the future. It’s called forward thinking and just might stop you from any more anxiety.

5 Likes

When I was going through cancer 11 years ago, my consultant told me that my positive attitude to beating it was really helping. After remission I still went for 3 monthly checkups and he told me that my positive approach was still helping. He couldn’t talk about other patients but he did say that your body is controlled by your mind and he had met many who were independent & positive & didn’t let the cancer prey on their thoughts.
Your mind can’t cure your health problems but I have always believed that a positive attitude can make life easier…so I agree with what you said!

2 Likes

I am a big believer in the power of positive thought and in not dwelling on things I can do nothing about. In 2003 - in hospital for something else - a scan showed I had cancer. My reaction was - OK, you’ve found it - remove it - and that is exacty what happened. No-one else knew and I do not talk or think about it. It was there, now it is gone, life moves on.

Having reaching the age I am at - perhaps I should be more aware of future restrictions hiding behind the door. I have made a will - I have told those who need to know how my remains are to be disposed of, and named an executor whom I know can be trusted, but that is as far as I am down the road of foward thinking.

6 Likes

There’s a lot to be said about the benefits of positive thinking and you’re not the only person who has made claims that it’s helped cure, or at least significantly improved the effects of cancer. Louise L May is one such example who you and others may Google although since she was American and wrote a load about affirmations, her style may not suit everyone.

I’ve been thinking about the future too…I agree about positive attitude but none of us can escape getting old and our bodies deteriorating we can’t escape that no matter what.

My next move might be to a retirement village of some sort something where I dont have to think about repairs or cleaning a big house or tending an expansive garden…I’m not ready for that yet…but one day maybe

3 Likes

Last year I decided to move partially to age proof myself against another move in later life also my life had changed
I’d reached the big 70 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, time to make a move
from a big listed money pit to a medium sized listed property & nowhere near as old .
I’d say don’t put it off , move as soon as possible don’t leave it till you’re struggling to cope, as you will need to get to know what’s what locally and make new friends.

This move I stayed away from the rural… as you never know when public transport ,shops , doctors might be handy.
I love my new life by the sea …would I swap my new life for the old …no Siree

Sensible stuff Ripple. Presumably the more modern building is also better insulated.

Well I did tell myself after almost 30yrs years of living in a early Georgian barn absolutely no more listed buildings.
However things don’t always work out do they .

This time I’ve moved into a Victorian converted Marine barracks. Converted in the 80s so it is well insulated .
It’s built like fort no crumbly crumbly.

1 Like

Meg you’re probably in the same situation as me physically although mine’s pretty long standing.
People in wheelchairs in all likelihood have cleaners coming in.
Best wishes , :hugs:

1 Like

Even at my young age of 62 I think about these things because already I’m feeling tired a lot these days. Ideally I would want a bungalow in my latter years but the only way that could happen is if we bought a caravan as bungalows are out of our price range .

My dad is doing marvellous at 89, he walks between 3000 and 4000 steps every day except Sundays . He only walks up and down his garden path as its a long path with hand rails. He’s register blind so couldn’t exercise outside his garden.
He also has a sit down cycle tgat he pedals . I bought him a pedometer for his walking which he likes and he asks me to look at his walks every day lol.

He is very lucky and has all his faculties with a memory way better than mine. He puts me to shame.

I cook all his meals ensuring a healthy diet for his diabetes and he has a mini roll a day as a treat.

I’m not sure if all the exercise and healthy eating is helping but he seems more like in his 70s than late 80s.

Saying all that though I do know if he didn’t have me he would have to go in a home as he wouldn’t be able to cope . He often says I don’t know what I’d do without you. I don’t either as no one else seems to care.

Dad lives in a council bungalow. He wouldn’t cope in a house with stairs as he struggles with stairs moreso with his blindness.

My dad asked me never to put him in a home. I’m doing my best and I told him never would I. I sincerely hope I can continue keeping my promise :pray:

3 Likes

What a good daughter you are LQ .

Hi

I thought about buying a bungalow but all
the neighbours were old people.

3 Likes

Hopefully not drug dealers though :slight_smile:

That can be good.
At lest you don’t get noise, loud music, all night parties, cars coming and going half the night – and as Muddy said ^ No drug dealers!

Best of all to me, is no stairs. Much easier to hoover and clean all on one level, as well.
I would never go back to a house again.

Hi

It was my attempt at humour

Secondly, you have no control who will move in next door.

Many houses are now bought to rent and there are many landlords who will take anybody.

I agree. But that applies wherever we live, not just because we choose a bungalow. Your neighbours are a prime example from what you’ve said, and that is why I said you would be less likely to get trouble in an area where neighbours might be a bit older.
I much prefer everything on one level myself, cant be bothered with stairs anymore, having lived in bungalows for around 20 years now.

I live in a bungalow but I like stairs so a dormer would have suited me .
I don’t like my neighbour he’s not old still working why he chose to move into a bungalow with all his extended family and many vehicles I don’t know .

Actually I’m not keen on neighbours as a whole but there you are :slight_smile:

3 Likes