Do you think you'll be able?

Will put that on my wishlist. Currently not available on Netflix, and not free on Prime. But looks good.

If anyone fancies a particularly depressing film, then watch The Father starring Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Cole. Makes one want to throw the towel in.

1 Like

If you’re an Amazon or eBay customer cheap
as chips, to buy…if you have a dvd player .

1 Like

Right. I’ve made a capital investment of £2.59 for a second hand “good” copy to be sent to me by the end of next week.

1 Like

Brilliant ! :grinning:

1 Like

Oh come on! 50 is prime, you’ve got a lot of living to do. Get motor neurone, then think about it, not the other way around.

@AnnieS I think you are sweet, but you worry so.

Jesus Christ …

1 Like

I was thinking more of that cow pat that came back as a female contender in the 2022 leader of the conservative party competition.

1 Like

Having seen Cocoon many years ago I knew there was no chance I would get “rejuvenated” :grinning:

As for your other comments the joints started going in my 60’s and there are many of us that have been through the same thing.

Stephen Hawking developed A.L.S. at the age of 21 and lived with this for 55 years .You should watch “The Theory of everything” and learn a few things about strength of character and how people cope with degenerative diseases without giving in to them.

It’s called having a positive attitude.

Oh that.

Well yes, but what about growing old and frightened?

Unfair to quote Stephen Hawking , he was famous and he had people to look after him.

I guess I spend my working life analysing, organising & planning for the worst case scenarios, it’s part of my job which translates into other parts of life. It must be a bean-counting trait :slight_smile:

Famous or not he lived with the disease not the people who cared for him and he remained positive.

Life wasn’t a bed of roses for him but he didn’t let it defeat him.

Anxiety is usually wrapped up in anticipation about how things will or won’t go. It is an emotion that looks to the future. I prefer to live in the present .

I appreciate what you’re saying.and you’re free to live your life with that attitude . However i think it’s insulting to assume to know about my circumstances or indeed my attitude or any other members taking part in this thread who rightly so feel anxious about some aspects of their lives giving them concern for the future .
I recall a neighbour around 80 I used to go into who had been widowed . No children. No family . Gross swelling of her knees incapacitated her , she had to rely on not the best of carers . One day i could see she was not at all well , confused ,talking about throwing herself out of the window because o f the lonely life . Could she remain positive ? Of course she couldn’t .
I called the carer and she called the GP and within hours Lily was in hospital totally dehydrated and there she remained until a place in a care home was found for her after which she enjoyed years of company , outings etc.

My fear is that I do have children who would take care of me, but that I don’t want them to

I looked after both my mum and dad into their 90s. They lived independently and had their own home but I looked after shopping, banking, hospital, meals, banking etc, co-ordinated cleaners, careers and gardeners and as their physical and mental health deteriorated, they needed more and more help

I was glad to do it, I like looking after people and I loved them dearly. And it brings me a lot of comfort now they’re gone that I was able to keep them home and they didn’t end their days in a care home

But it was gruelling, sad and depressing, sometimes and very stressful, especially trying to juggle with a full time job

And I’ll be damned if I’ll put my children through it

So as soon as we can’t manage, it’s downsize to a sheltered apartment, then a care home

I hope I get struck by lightning before then or die from cold shock jumping in the sea! :rofl:

But if the fates aren’t that kind, then my plan is to take ourselves off somewhere where we’re not their responsibility

I didn’t assume anything !!!

I simply stated how I looked upon old age from my own perspective.How you deal with your life is entirely up to yourself.

I’ve just lost 3 friends all younger than myself in the past few months to cancer , something I battled myself at 39 ,so I am fully aware of others suffering .

I just prefer not to worry about the future and what might or might not happen . I spent my life as a carer which basically is why my joints were in such a bad condition ,but I don’t hold responsible the people that I had to lift and care for as it was my job.

It’s being positive that has kept me going all these years ,as you also have no idea what I have had to deal with.

1 Like

Well said. Independence is a wonderful thing to hang on to.

1 Like

Again I understand what you’re saying but my OP was asking do you think you’ll be able to manage .
So yes you’ve managed .
My back problem was originally a prolapsed disc through lifting a patient in my twenties .I won’t go into the rest of my life or my present condition but at present there is nothing in this physical body that’s going to be improved on so that’s why I’m wondering …will I be able to manage …but apparently you don’t think I ought to even be considering it .

No - I never think about it - but reading your excellent post and the replies it generated - maybe I should!

You can say that again , if you want to be depressed just go to the supermarket and look at prices even they are more cheerful

1 Like

That is forward planning .
Mr Ms Auntie was a widow with no children and lived until she was 98 in her sheltered accommodation flat .
But she had carers and a cleaning lady who take the washing down to the washroom and changed the bed sheets .
But it got harder as she got less able and the state carers only gave her 15 minutes a day at lunch time .