Do You Think That Burying The Dead Is A Waste Of Space?

I read that there are about 150,000 burials a year in the UK.
i guess each plot (including head stone and a bit of space around it) is about 2m square. So this would be 300,000 sq m or 30 hectares (about 60 acres) a year. But of course its less than that as some spouses are buried on top of their already buried partner in a single grave.
One summer job I had was with the local council. And one day my allocated role was as assistant grave digger - in a closed graveyard. That meant a morning digging down to the coffin already in the grave so that the recently deceased wife could be placed on top of her long dead husband. As my gaffer said, once we had dug down about five feet, ā€œlad, about now we keep our feet at the edges and not in the middle of the graveā€. Sound advice.

1 Like

60 acres eh? An acre is a chain by a furlong (which is 1 cricket pitch by 10 cricket pitches)

So 60 acres would be 1 cricket pitch by 60 furlongs, or 1 cricket pitch by 7.5 miles. Thatā€™s a lot of soil, at 6ft deep.

UK has a population of 68 million. They will all die. Where would we bury them?

1 Like

Lords, the Oval, Headingly etc etc.

And the other 67 million?

1 Like

Using @strathmore 's 2m x 2m estimated area requirement, then 68million would require circa 105 square miles of land.

What about burying folks under HS2?

Iā€™ll take your word for it on that oneā€¦:slight_smile:

Cricket is not that bad.

Aw, Iā€™ve just finished building the boatā€¦

There is no actual law that says graves must be 6ft deep or indeed have a coffin .
Although no doubt cemeteries insist on this .

We are tomorrowā€™s fossil fuel.

2 Likes

Might as well drink some meths now then.

Good grief, thatā€™s a cheery thought and no mistake! :joy:

1 Like

Yup compost R US .
Or will be :laughing:

1 Like

That reminds me of when the mp Cyril smith died, mourners noticed a chap crying his eyes out, eventually someone went over to him and said ā€œ you must have been a close friend to himā€ , ā€œ no not at allā€ the chap replied, ā€œthen why are you crying ā€œ he was asked, ā€œ because I had to dig the holeā€he saidā€¦.

1 Like

I suppose it is. I think for many in UK cremation is the obvious options. Gravestones are at a premium.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a just a temporary illusion that a burial ground is a forever resting place - in most cases unless you are illustrious enough to have a crypt councils are likely to ā€œredesignā€ your resting place in time.

1 Like

can they move coffins without family approval??

Depends if you are in a church yard you buy the grave in perpetuity.
If you are in a town cemetery you may only have a lease of 75 years .in theory after 75 years they can dig you up unless you renew the lease . In practice this is not ( yet) done . Cemeteries that are full up become ā€˜closed ā€˜ cemeteries.

After so many years we will all be past caring .