Do You Think That Burying The Dead Is A Waste Of Space?

Soylent Green anyone?

Where did we get the idea that there aren’t enough places to bury people from?
There are thousands of square miles of land in England alone…
Quote:-
Area: 50,301 sq mi (130,278 sq km). Population: (2011) 53,012,456. It is the largest constituent unit of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. England is often erroneously considered synonymous with the island of Great Britain and even with the entire kingdom.

That equates to around one square mile for one million people (if we all died tomorrow) laid end to end of course.

Another Quote:-
England has a land area of just over 13,046,000 hectares [footnote 1] of which 8.7% is of developed use, with 10.5% being ‘built-up’. When including land designated as Green Belt, just over 37.4% of the area of England (4.9 million hectares) is protected against development by one or more natural designation.27 Oct 2022

So only 10% is built over…
Surely that leaves enough land to bury people until the end of time…

When I die I want the full Viking send off………….longboat cast adrift, archer fires a flaming arrow to set it aflame and off I float to Valhalla.
Where you get to party in a huge log house, drinking lots of beer, eating meat, no salads, brought to you by big busted flaxen haired willing wenches. You can get into lots of fights with mates with daggers and swords and you can’t get killed coz you are already dead.

The reality will be more like being cast adrift on an airbed on one of Birmingham’s canals where people on bridges will drop light fag ends on me as I float past,

2 Likes

Silly :joy:

I want my ashes scattered in the Thames but I’ve given my lot strict instructions not to throw me off the bridge onto a boatload of Japanese tourists below… :smiley:

On the other hand I could go for one of them Bog burials like the ancient Britons, I do spend a lot of time in there.

1 Like

There will always be a WALL E to take care of that task :+1:

2 Likes

Sometimes after a lads night out, the one in our portacabin smells as if someone has already been buried there …

You need the services of Bog Busters :wink::+1::grin:

1 Like

Oh dear…ripe eh? Military thunder boxes fermenting under the blazing sun can be olfactory experience never to be forgotten. I hated them, not because of the smell, but because the guy sitting next to you could be your CO or RSM …it’s very uncomfortable and you don’t want to do anything that might affect your promotion chances

1 Like

Well, we do know that the entire human population of the planet would fit in North Yorkshire as a loose crowd (say, 1 square metre per person) so I am sure the whole population of the planet could be buried in Yorkshire which would then become the dead centre of the solar system.

1 Like

Quite true Bruce, but why would we destroy the most beautiful place on the planet with dead folk…?

It’s probably traditional.

1 Like

Some advice I read somewhere about burying you husband/wife in the garden and you don’t want the body found is to cover the grave site in endangered plants, flowers etc, apparently it’s illegal to disturb them and you are not allowed to dig them up.
I have always been an advocate of the ‘under the patio’ movement though.

So was Fred West

Remains to be seen? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Having a grave on private property reduces the the property’s value apparently (I read it somewhere)

Have to have permission to bury someone on own property.
Our shopping centre was built on a old graveyard, don’t know if they removed the bones but in the shopping centre people see ghosts.
If you’re cremated the ashes can go anywhere.
At our crematorium the heat from the cremations heat the Abbey stadium that’s close by.

1 Like

There is a house in my village that was a former chapel
Several graves in the garden
Just don’t dig too deep planting the begonias

1 Like

What a brilliant way to make use of the heat instead of wasting it…
:+1:

Yes it’s a great idea.

1 Like