Do you think it takes confidence to post on a forum?

My first post to an online forum was around 1987 I think, using Prestel Gold and an 800 baud acoustic modem. I must have been on a couple of thousand forums since then, I would think, and posting on them is just part of the daily routine.

2 Likes

Good grief, Iā€™ve only been on about 6 forumsā€¦never knew there were that manyā€¦

Iā€™m rubbish I always think people will think whatā€™s she on aboutā€¦ I have lost some confidence generally since I retired though ā€¦ wonder if that happens to everyone

2 Likes

Hey @summer never worry about what people may think. If you have some thing to say post it. Youā€™ll be surprised how many people will join in. :grinning:

3 Likes

Itā€™s the worrying that one needs to let go ofā€¦I spent most of my life worrying what others thought about me.

I think I let go of worry in that area some years ago, i came to a place of realising that what I have to say on a forum ,is equal to anyone elseā€™s, no more no lessā€¦we are all learning in different areasā€¦:grinning:

I had no confidence ,not until I reached my late 50s, I donā€™t know how I transitioned, but I did and Iā€™ve been growing in confidence ever sinceā€¦this forum has helped me grow in knowledge as well.

1 Like

Well you obviously donā€™t give a damn now. But thatā€™s a good place to be. :001:

I had my first computer as a Christmas present. I had absolutely no idea I was having one or what you did with it! :grinning: I was shown the basics and was so scared to press anything when I was on my own.
Then not long after I was persuaded/pushed into joining a forum by a friend. :grinning: I was terrified of posting!

It happened to be a cat forum so being a cat lover, it turned out better than I thought it would. It wasnā€™t long before I was hooked on it. What I learnt in that time and gained confidence in, was amazing.

Things progressed from there and Iā€™m truly thankful to that friend who introduced me to the Internet almost 19 years ago. :grinning:

2 Likes

Now youā€™re a ā€œ Techā€ Queen, Mags!!..:heartpulse::heartpulse:

Far from it Pauline! :joy:

1 Like

I personally donā€™t think it takes confidence really, quite the contrary, it gives some confidence knowing they are hiding behind a screen, the keyboard warriors come out in their droves (not on here, I mean in general on the net)

2 Likes

Ha, me too, I think me and thee are too alike, imagine if we got together, heck, weā€™d be feyting over who could yak the most haha

1 Like

My first thread was on the BBC.My customary well thought out pearls of wisdom in which I used capitals to emphasize one word.
I did get a reply,someone telling me off for shouting.Being new to it,I found that a bit odd but was pleased I got a reply anyway.

1 Like

SPEAK UP SMITHY, CANā€™T HEAR YA LOL :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

pardon?

2 Likes

Itā€™s HALF PAST 8, DEAR.

2 Likes

Itā€™s never too late! Tsk!

1 Like

Great thread Pauline :023:

In general I would say it takes less confidence than many real life interactionsā€¦ and that it can actually be a great tool in helping some people gain confidence in those offline/real life interactions too :smiley: and thatā€™s probably been an unexpected bonus for many people. I think thatā€™s awesome, and I love how sites like this can be helpful in such meaningful and life changing ways :blush:

We were banned from the same forum Meg! :upside_down_face:

I was banned after making my first post there - all I did was reply to someoneā€™s thread saying I could see why what they were saying made a lot of sense. They had posted a thread wishing that breeders would breed closer to the original breed standards because those animals were generally slimmer and fitter and bred with things like temperament, agility and health in mind first and foremost. But after that first post I got banned as a ā€˜Bull breed trollā€™ :icon_rolleyes:

Well I thought to myself, you know what, I can do better - and went on to start Dogweb (which we later renamed Dogsey) and it surpassed that other site within a year and became the largest English-language dog forum in the world! I then got addicted to building sites like it and the rest is history :lol:

The funny thing is when Meg joined Dogsey a few of our members messaged me to say I should ban her because apparently she was argumentative and would only spell trouble for the site - or something along those lines. But I replied that we have to judge everyone on their actions here rather than what may have happened elsewhere, knowing only too well that some sites can bring out the worst in people and that there are always two sides to a story. I didnā€™t mention this to Meg but she quickly became one of our most liked and respected members and ended up being one of our first Moderators. Nearly two decades later she is still here and still modding and still one of our most liked and respected members :orange_heart:

I remember how nervous you were when you first joined Catsey Mags, and how ā€˜newā€™ it all was for you having never owned or really used a computer before - but you quickly picked it up and then became a mod, and I often thought to myself how amazingly well you did - going from a true technophobe to a technoqueen :lol: not only on your own personal level, but all those people you helped get to grips with things over the years too :orange_heart:

I hope that you and Meg have both enjoyed the forums just as much as everyone has enjoyed having you on them :blush: and even though sometimes it might have felt like a thankless task, I hope youā€™ll always know that so many of us appreciate the time, care and kindness you have shown us all :058:

The same applies for many of our everyday members too - some of whom have been with us pretty much since 2009 when our doors first opened. Even though at times it may not feel it, but I can assure you that there are lots of people who have grown fond of you over the years and that you are very much a part of the furniture here. If you add something of value to the forum, or make an effort to help make someones day that little bit better, then you too are part of the community and the community is the beating heart of the forum :049:

4 Likes

What a lovely heartfelt postā€¦:heartpulse::heartpulse:

2 Likes

I have ever only been on 3 forums, just getting my feet wet apparently! No wonder I am shy at posting. :wink:

1 Like

I also think that it doesnā€™t take confidence to post on forums nor does it in real life when talking to strangers in non-violent everyday situations. Things become different in situations where not just confidence but civil courage is required. But thatā€™s a different kettleā€¦
I doubt that posting online would help me in real life in terms of gaining confidence, though. It enriches my life, Iā€™d say.
I started posting online on the usenet in the late 90s and got kind of hooked because it was interesting and informative. When Web 2.0 came along I began giving feedback on TV programmes and then joined discussion fora. So, here I am. :hugs: