Do you think it takes confidence to post on a forum?

Thanks for answering! I appreciate the information.

2 Likes

You’re welcome and you should definitely do some AMAs (tho of our members rather than of me :lol:) we had some a while back and used to call them the ‘hot seat’ :003:

@carol started them: https://forum.over50schat.com/t/hotseat-getting-to-know-you/29067 - perhaps you can message her with a view to restarting them? :smiley:

2 Likes

They were great fun.I met some too.One of them asked me to come on holiday to Oz and I’ve sort of stayed.

1 Like

'98 for me too. My first PC windows 98. I don’t know the TOG. But Guardian Note & Queries was fun.

Yes I do, thinking about it really.
I just received an email regarding this newly refurbished site and it does look a lot better b.t.w.

1 Like

Glad you made it over here Woodsman! :+1: If you need any help just yell and someone will point you in the right place. :smiley:

1 Like

Hello from me too Woodsman

1 Like

Bloody hell that made me have my first genuine laugh of the evening Thanks Meg :sweat_smile:

I don’t see that it would take confidence to post on a forum, after all I don’t know anyone on here personally and nobody knows me either. All we have is what we see on the screen in the form of words and smilies, plus perhaps a photo if members have used one for their avatar. There’s also a Profile if details have been posted on there. Judging a personality from this is very difficult, it’s sometimes not easy in real life either but on screen initially there’s very little to go on.

Posting on a forum can I believe be very helpful in a lot of ways, although none of this is reality it is actually a form of ‘community’, something that’s becoming rare these days in many ways.

During the lockdowns we have had, because of the isolation it seemed very lonely without any interaction with family and friends. However, at that time OFF and those members on that forum were always there and posting. That helped at what was a really bad time for a lot of people, myself included. At the touch of a key there was a community, still posting and reminding each other there were still people around and ‘out there’. Also of course that just showed that many were having similar problems with not seeing family and friends, as bad as that was it probably helped many of us just knowing we were not alone in how we felt and for similar reasons.

Now we have another, almost brand new forum – OFC and most of the members from OFF have managed to make the transition and are once again a community, posting as before. It’s been another steep learning curve for many but it’s now ‘onwards and upwards’ as the saying goes! :grinning:

3 Likes

I remember a conversation with Azz at the start of my OFF journey, not sure which has changed, OFF or moi, both probably. :grinning: :biking_man:

1 Like

I recall reading when studying about ‘how we tick’ that everything changes, especially us. Nothing remains the same. All the time whatever we are thinking, doing, hearing or recalling affects us and what is in our minds. Opinions and how they are formed I found very interesting. If only more people would find out for themselves how and why we are the persons we are, there would be less friction between us humans and in so many ways. :thinking: :grinning:

3 Likes

It was a spin-off from Terry Wogan’s breakfast show on Radio 2. I think it might have died when he did.

2 Likes

If only we could acknowledge this and benefit from it. Nice post, Baz. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Do you think it takes confidence to post on a forum?

… a kind of forced confidence to rush around posting on every thread whilst trying to keep the chin up.

Those types tend to fall by the wayside.

1 Like

@d00d

Oh I’m a floating poster
I’m posting all the time
I flit from thread to thread
Feeling rather fine

Oh I’m a floating poster
My words are rather silly
I flit from thread to thread
Dropping hearts willy nilly

Oh I’m a floating poster
The wayside’s not for me
I’ll be here forever more
The rest of you will see!

:smiley:

Just spur of the moment stuff.

6 Likes

That’s fantastic, PixieKnuckles!

Love it! :heart_decoration:

1 Like

Aww thank you Butterscotch :smiley:

1 Like

@PixieKnuckles

Brilliant Pixie ……. I was reading that to the tune of My Old Man’s a Dustbin! :joy:

2 Likes

Thank you Mags! That’s the tune I had in my head too but I didn’t know where it came from or what the words were…Subconscious weirdness! :smiley:

1 Like

I also think it takes confidence to continue to post on a forum, especially if you are trying to figure something out and can be faced with adversity at times.

1 Like