Do you suffer from insomnia?

Continuing the discussion from Good morning Saturday 18 March 2023:

In another thread, someone asked me if I have insomnia.

I don’t consider myself to have insomnia. When the conditions are right, sleep feels like eating the most delicious meal.

But getting a good night’s sleep isn’t always easy with disruptions like bad weather, noisy neighbors and obligations that conflict.

I don’t really know what others mean by insomnia.

Do you suffer from insomnia? What does it feel like to you?

Yes I do Butterscotch…always have. For some reason my brain decides its time for a good old think at bedtime and I can’t shut it up :smile:

1 Like

I used to suffer from insomnia - the same as Summer brain in overdrive at night. I’ve had a DNA health check and am classed as a night owl so that explains it.

1 Like

I have insomnia. The bedroom is quiet. The bed is comfy but I am still awake at 4.00am!!
I have learned not to let it bother me but often I find myself dropping off to sleep early evening…

1 Like

I don’t really call it insomnia, I just don’t sleep much and don’t enjoy sleeping

Definitely a creature of the night, I usually just crash out when I’m so tired I can’t fight it any more. Probably not healthy but I’ve always been the same

I don’t have trouble sleeping when I need to, I just go to bed, tell myself to sleep and I do! Knackered by then anyway……

I am always so pleased when I wake up and it’s morning and I can get up, though

And I hate that groggy, stiff joints feeling after I’ve been sleeping for a while

My wake up routine on opening my eyes is stretch, drink water, do a maths problem in my head, think of 6 things I’m looking forward to in the the day, then up and at it :alarm_clock::alarm_clock::alarm_clock:

3 Likes

I don’t like wasting time sleeping either,especially at my age.

1 Like

No Butterscotch, I’ve never suffered from insomnia and I have no problem falling asleep and staying asleep.

I’m thankful for this since sleep is so important for your health.

4 Likes

I don’t suffer from insomnia Butterscotch although I have met one or two people have had real issues with the problem.
I find a regular sleep pattern is important, early to bed and early to rise :+1:

I worked nights some years ago, that was pretty grim.
Try sleeping during the day when the council are digging up the road outside your window and of course the inevitable knocks at the front door . I hope I don’t have to do that again :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Since covid and lockdown both myself and Dh have terrible problems with sleeping.
Waking up after just an hour or two and staying awake.
If i over think about it,it will become a bigger problem,so we are just dealing with it.

1 Like

At risk of being a misery don’t log in to over50’s chat shortly before retiring…or any website for that matter.
Forget screens, a paperback, a little gentle music or perhaps an audible book.
What could possibly go wrong?
Sorry Azz… nothing personal fella :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Whenever my BH has trouble sleeping she talks to me,that soon sends her off.

I hear that a lot. That doesn’t work for me. My music and the audio book would be on a screen. It turns off the light after a while, but it’s still a screen. Not posting could be a good or bad idea for me, depending. If I’m wishing someone a good night as a ritual, it could work. Having an argument, not so much.

Been awake most of the night…came here in desperation and have just done wordle insomnia is no joke :frowning:

1 Like

Sorry to hear that, summer. Does anything normally work in these situations?

I’ve heard all kinds of remedies from drinking tea to writing problems down to counting sheep backwards to getting up to do something. Everyone’s different, so what works for one might not work for another.

I hope you get some sleep.

Scrolling through Reddit, I saw someone ask what they can do if they don’t watch screens before bed. I scrolled through a bunch of answers. Here’s some that people might try.

Coloring, jigsaw or crossword puzzles, have a ritual to get ready for the next day, read a comic, meditate, stretching/yoga, drawing, journal, meal prep, draw/paint, knit/crotchet, play solitaire with real cards, chill with your pet, stargazing. . . .

1 Like

All those sound good…defo no tea or coffee :wink:

2 Likes

. . . unless it’s herbal or decaf. I used to drink peppermint tea before bed. I found it soothing. Some people can do green tea. But yes, caffeine before bed is probably not a good idea for most people.

1 Like

i am not sleeping well, then a friend pointed out i was drinking a bottle of sprite with my old monk rum…about six a night, so i was having a sugar-rush that was keeping me awake… when you cnt sleep because of a buzy mind then why not try and use it… just imagine one of those big blackboards they used at school, then imagine its your job to repaint it using blackboard paint, dont rush it, just keep painting it, looking for bits you might have missed, it stops you brain from focusing on really important stuff, like shopping lists…lol

1 Like

the cause of insomnia can be down to ones OH snoring, I shall say no more

Someone told me Magnesium was good to help you relax so I take one every night.Mostly it works.

1 Like