Do you still use cash or credit /debit card?

To this day, I have managed to work for 50/50 cash and Bank Transfer, a nice balance (perspective wise, not bank balance wise, before the begging letters flood in). :grin: :biking_man:

1 Like

That’s just not the case though is it? if your wallet gets stolen the money is gone for ever whereas money spent using a credit/debit card is protected against theft or non supply of goods and gets refunded by the bank.

1 Like

I use both, but for big shop purchases my plastic gets flashed.

Yes, I was dipped many years ago, when the £60 in my purse was an awful lot of money… :angry:

I would say that your credit/debit card is much more of a loss than a few tenners Bruce…not to mention the inconvenience, even if your money is protected… :009:
I usually just carry cash in my back pocket…No wallet…

Yes but … assuming you don’t share your pin number, the bank will take responsibility for fraudulent activities.

But nowadays we all have contactless cards. I think we can now spend up to £100 a time, so I don’t know the situation. I think the bots block uncharacteristic purchases, meaning you may have to use the old pin method.

Banks do write off £Ms everyday but they can afford it, a tiny % built in to the margins. I don’t know how & when they suspect a pisstake and how they respond.

1 Like

Many places, especially restaurants, are refusing cash, but I stopped using cash and checks long ago.

My preferred method is still my credit card to earn airline travel. Sometimes I use apps, but rarely.

Nearly two-thirds of all debit card transactions are made via the tap-and-go technology.

When contactless card payments were introduced in 2007, the transaction limit was set at £10. Cards were generally used in this way in place of small change when buying snacks, papers and occasional groceries. The limit was raised gradually, to £20 in 2012, then to £30 in 2015.

The pandemic accelerated a move away from cash, with shoppers often being encouraged to use contactless in many stores to reduce close contact between staff and customers. It meant the government and industry hurriedly increased the limit to £45 and announced plans to raise it again to £100. Banks say that will allow people to pay, without the need for a Pin, when filling up the car with petrol or during weekly food shopping trips.

However, there are concerns that the next increase will prove tempting for criminals to step up efforts to steal cards. A report for UCL’s Jill Dando Institute of Security and Crime Science said credit and debit cards were known as “hot property” for criminals.

“Raising the contactless card limit to £100 would likely make card theft more attractive, increasing a broad range of acquisitive crimes including snatch theft of wallets and purses, hold-up robberies, and home and vehicle break-ins to find cards that can be used fraudulently,” the report said. “Past experience suggests it could attract new cohorts of teen criminals who are more likely to progress to extended criminal careers, with implications for longer term crime rates.”

Teenage Rampage … :scream:

Cash is now a four letter word in many shops! We pay for virtually everything by card and clear the balance at the end of the month to prevent interest being added. I do always carry a small amount of cash in case of emergency, but the notes in my pocket are the same ones now as were there several months ago!

What is the advantage of credit cards over debit for small items ?
I can see that it does have safty advantages for large purchases .

Only use a credit card on expensive items for the Section 75 protection otherwise it is debit card or cash for local shop and window cleaner. Tried usng the phone and Google Pay but it as far too tempremental and to be honest it as no easier than taking out a debit card.

I don’t, and won’t, own a credit card.
I use a debit card to purchase ‘on-line’ stuff - craft stuff from US or DVDs from Amazon.
I leave a cheque out with the milk bottles to pay the milkman
Won’t entertain Direct Debits

Cash rules in my corner of the world - much easier on the account books!

3 Likes

A credit card can in theory provide protection that using other payment methods won’t but in reality it’s becoming more and more of a fight with credit card companies to invoke these protections if you ever need them.
Because of this I’m seriously considering ditching credit cards too because TBH that’s the only reason I use them.

1 Like

I don’t use a credit card, I loathe them. I have a debit card which I use most days now, and rarely use cash at all. I miss using cash, if I’m honest…but on the times I do, I feel a bit icky about it and sanitise my hands every time I touch it.

1 Like

I use a debit card all the time now instead of cash. I carry a £20 with me just in case.

I have a credit card, had it since 1976, used to use it before debit cards came along. Still have it but haven’t used it in years. The only reason I keep it is should I need to hire a car. I do believe they are required for that, but could be behind the times on that.

A chacun a son gout…

We get groceries delivered to our door so we use a debit card for that. Same for purchases on line. That includes the milk from the milkman so no cash is involved. We use the local shop for mostly for cash. We do have a credit card just in case. We use some small item just to keep it active and we pay it off each month or so.

I pay my credit card off every month but the biggest advantage for me is the 25 to 55 interest free days. I use this to buy/pay for things now and then transfer the sum to pay off my credit card when my pension/super makes me flush with funds.

Blimey d00d, whats the limit on that one…£50? :joy:

1 Like

Same here but I also carry debit and credit cards too. I tend to use my credit card most because it’s a Tesco one and we get POINTS (ha, 1 point/£8 spent outside Tesco these days but every little bit helps :lol:) when we spend on it. Always pay off the balance every month.

that’s very generous of them Percy…sure they can afford all that ???