Do you save yourself money by cooking from scratch?

deleted

deleted

I will be making lemon drizzle loaf ,plus apple and banana cake,today, will post pics later, once cooled I will slice and freeze. again saves me buying the ones in the supermarket, that don’t come anywhere near, to home made.

Plus again saving me money…I am actually going to keep account on what I spend on food a week, now that I am retired, it will be interesting to see just how much I actually do save…I can cook save and freeze.

Made one lemon drizzle loaf, had some left over batter, so made another small one in my silicone cake dish.

I get a sense of achievement ,when I cook/ bake everything from scratch, plus it’s my passion…and saving money.:wink:

This one won’t be making it to the freezer.

This one has now cooled, so will be slicing up and freezing.

Made a prawn curry, saving myself money.

Ingredients.

Fresh Prawns.
Red and green chillis.
Onions.
Garlic gloves.
Tomato purée.
Red chilli paste.
Coconut milk.
Coconut cream.
Cream.
Sugar.
Curry paste.

Made the sauce, portioned ,then straight into freezer.

My best curry to date, coconut milk, coconut cream,cream, takes the bitterness away…my son gave me a 9 out of ten.for this meal.

I also made battered prawns marinated in lime juice, salt and pepper.
Halloumi fries are another fav, dipped in home made sweet chilli sauce, I cut the cheese into strips then freeze what’s left over.
This left over sauce, I will add more coconut cream, coconut milk, and cream to this, then make a chicken curry, saving myself a fortune, a chicken breast lasts me 3 meals.

A cooks bought curry cost around £4 to £ 5 …:shock:

Just made this steak mince and cheese pie, with water crust pastry,will slice up once cooled, then freeze.

Ok Pauline don’t take this the wrong way, but if I take this thread and your health queries together then I’d say you need to urgently change your diet.

Annie, I eat very well, I haven’t eaten pie or homemade cake in nearly a year, …only just started making this .

My diet consists of a lot of salad,fish,fruit, a lot of chicken potatoes and veg…lots of water and hard exercise.:smiley:

I weigh 9 stone 10 lbs…

The last time I made a pie, was when I posted them on another thread on this forum,which was over a year ago I believe.

I haven’t made a meat pie since 2019 …I can’t believe it’s been that long.

Pauline you posted the pie today!

That’s the first one I’ve made since 2019.

My friend moved away, so I stopped baking pies,I can’t believe it’s been that long since I’ve made one.

I made them mainly for her.

Same as the lemon drizzle cake, she had most of them.

Yes and you also posted a number of cakes recently baked and pizza. I’m just saying that these are not healthy choices that’s all.

I know they aren’t healthy choices,they are in the freezer, I don’t eat that every week, pizza is still in freezer, as is the cakes…

As I’ve said I eat very healthy.and exercise hard…

Nothing wrong in having a little junk food now and again.

Which I have every so often, it’s all ready to pull out of the freezer.

My freezer is also full of stews, homemade soups…all of which are healthy. Frozen, but still healthy meals.

these are to healthy eating like an alcoholic having bottles of booze stashed away Pauline.

:lol::lol:…I’m not a junk food addict…never have been,I eat healthy, fruit is another fav of mine,only I can’t eat apples at the moment because of my tooth.

Not sure if your dentist has mentioned that sticky carbs are the worst thing for your teeth. Biscuits, raisins pastry and anything like that is not good.

There is nothing wrong with my teeth, it’s my gums.

I have beautiful healthy teeth.

I’m sure your teeth will always look beautiful Pauline. Whether in your mouth or not.

As I have said there is nothing wrong with my teeth.:wink:

Which are in my mouth.:smiley: