Do you ride a Motorcycle in the City?

Yesterday, driving home from work I passed an accident between a Bike and a Car.
Appears the car was reversing out of the house driveway into a busy road. Bike appears to have crashed into said car.
Mangled mess the bike is.
Motorbikes offer no protection and every time one rides one, the riders life is more at risk than car drivers.
Can hear the Ambulance sirens blaring on the way to the scene.

I spent most of my teens and 20’s on bikes.Only one accident,a car pulled out in front of me.I think all drivers should start off on bikes before they get a car.You need to be more observant and aware of road conditions as braking can be uncertain.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I’ve passed a number of accidents like this. There’s a motorcycle lying on it’s side in the middle of the road lane, surrounded by a group of police and maybe a slightly dented car holding the morning traffic up as the road is down to a single lane. You can never tell if the rider is seriously injured or met an untimely end. It’s often a wet and dark morning. There is no way the motorcycle rider can stop on the wet and slippery surface.

1 Like

I haven’t got myself astride a good ball throbber since I turned 75 some 5yrs ago. I am now a dedicated 4-wheel driver and I intend to stay that way until I’m no longer fit to get behind the wheel.

1 Like

Some motor cyclists are the cause of accidents too. A couple of weeks ago I was walking on the pavement alongside an incredibly busy road when a motor bike passed me on the inside of the pavement at a terrific speed! I didn’t hear it coming up behind me because the traffic noise was extremely loud - not did I expect a motor bike to be driven along the pavement. If I had moved to my right only a few inches it would have hit me! It had sped off down the pavement and was out of sight before I could collect my thoughts. It wasn’t until I arrived home that I began to think about what could have happened and I felt really shaken. It’s bad enough to have those dreadful e-scooters winding their way around the pavement without the added worry of motor bikes!

2 Likes

I was quite into bikes in my younger days. It was a case of having to because I couldn’t afford a car. I loved my bike - a Suzuki 750 - for many years. These were the days when there wasn’t as much traffic on the roads. Luckily I never had an accident whilst I had it. Eventually, it became too expensive to run The insurance was hideous as was the constant replacement of tyres and chains. Then one day, I was riding home in a blizzard and decided to swap it for a beat-up and rusty car.

I do sometimes wish I still had a bike, especially in the nice weather.

1 Like

I’ve never ridden a proper motorcycle although I really wanted one in my teens, it was to be a Honda Four Hundred Four or a Fantic Chopper 125. I have had a couple of twist and go scooters just for getting around on but there’s no way I’d risk riding one now …far too risky!

th-3412799938

Very 70s and very expensive!

1 Like