Do you remember your favourite Dessert/Sweet treat as a child?

We had rice pudding quite often though I did not find it an outstanding dessert.

Our regular pudding was various tinned fruits, with evaporated milk if we had any

Pear, peaches, pineapple, those little mandarin segments I remember one called tropical fruit cocktail that I really liked, I don’t know if they still make it?

1 Like

Caramel custard served cold with Carnation milk on top

1 Like

OOOOH, chocolate slab cake we had in school with pink custard.

1 Like

My Mum was a great cook and we had just about every dessert mentioned like Blancmange, trifle, Angel delight, etc

She used to make fantastic oven baked rice puddings, semolina pudding, Spotted Dick, Pineapple Upside Down cake, lemon meringue pies, Eve’s pudding and loads more.

2 Likes

We had plum trees, damson trees, plus strawberries, raspberries & blackberries, the latter cultivated, spike free type, when ripe for picking in the garden they never got as far as the back door, going out to pick them with my basket, they never made it, I ate them before I got there. Not all though, :grinning: I’d have been very ill. :grinning:
We never got to eat the cherries, ruddy birds always got there first.

1 Like

I used to go picking wild blackberries. Granma would make Blackberry Pie served with whipped cream.

1 Like

I still enjoy tinned fruit. Got some in my cupboard as I type & evaporated milk to pour over them. :+1:

2 Likes

I love that, sadly not allowed to eat it now, but I used to, by the spoon full. Yum yum!

1 Like

Perhaps we could have a used to thread :sunglasses:

1 Like

Does anyone else remember eating raw jelly straight from the pack…I remember going out at lunchtime with classmates during the early 70s and doing just that.
It was probably some kind of fad. I wouldn’t even consider it now :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

That was back in the days before the Sugar Police got to the manufacturers to reduce the sugar content. Now there are all kinds of ‘extenders’ in jelly blocks.

You couldn’t do that here, jelly comes as crystals in the pack, those blocks of jelly would just melt in the packet I think.

1 Like

Well it can’t have been very healthy regardless, one thing I do remember is that it weighed very heavily on the stomach after eating an entire block, not surprising as a block was probably meant to serve a family of four.

I see what you mean Bruce.

I made the blue stuff for my grandkids yesterday (absolutely no idea what flavour blue is).

Tomorrow I am going to make myself some junket I used to love it but it seems to have gone out of fashion these days but I found some plain junket tablets in the supermarket (they used to be a packet of different flavoured tablets but apparently no more).

1 Like

Did you sing the song as you made it? :wink:

Of course, it is like the Vegemite ad everybody knows the words.

1 Like

A child’s health back in the 40’s and 50’s was one of the last considerations when feeding your child was. It wasn’t until '54 that meat and all other food rationing was scrapped, so calories and bulking food were given priority until then.

Yes I love these, they sell them in Sainsbury’s so you don’t have to go somewhere exotic to get them
Usually about 75p or £1 for a good sized pack