Do you re-use your plastic containers?

I reuse the plastic fruit tubs for sowing seeds in also meat food trays , I also use the Take away containers did try freezing food in but they split to easily , so now i use them for anything that needs storing in the Garage
Also use the large fat ball containers , used it for mixing wall paper paste , and also as a bucket .

Just today i thought about reusing the plastic single person pudding pots for a dogs drinking bowl when walking her ,
Also reuse water bottles , I have used milk bottles in the garden for shaping the direction of a branch on a shrub,Filling it with water then tieing it round the branch. Weighting down ,

1 Like

I rarely buy things in plastic boxes - but those I do are usually washed and reused to store bits and pieces in the craft room. I never buy anything in plastic bottles.

1 Like

Hence the milkman?

2 Likes

Yes - my milk comes in glass bottles!

1 Like

WTG!
Ours too.

2 Likes

I reuse those plastic food containers for my homemade bulk frozen meals. Always keep those plastic ice cream containers they are so useful. My only complaint about the latter is that they go brittle and eventually fall to pieces so have to be replaced. The lids are handy to cut up and use as shims or spacers.

Lately the ice cream I buy comes in paper containers which are useless but can be recycled.

My Golden Virginia tins are still in use in the garage and I gave up smoking in 1983.

1 Like

Absolutely. Reuse! Recycle and all that.
They get used in my husband’s garage more than anything for nuts & screws & such. Myself, elastics, paper clips, thumb tacks etc.

1 Like

all 1.25 ltr empty bottles invaluable for my home made beer - can’t get enough of them

1 Like

I have been using some small lucozade bottles, to freeze beer in, when I make beer batter. just don’t fill it all the way up.

1 Like

My late father used to smoke roll-ups using Golden Virginia, the tins were put to use in his garage,
the same way you use them. I have them now and use them in the same way, some of them date from
1960 so are quite ancient now. The old saying ‘waste not want not’ springs to mind – they still fulfil their usefulness though!
:grinning:

2 Likes

I have a couple of tobacco tins in my fishing tackle box. They’re useful for keeping ledger weights in.

1 Like

I remember those my ex used to smoke that tobacco in tins, once empty, he would store nails in them.

I see quite a few of the large plastic milk bottles ,with the top cut off, in peoples garages, I think they store oil and other liquid stuff in them, like nuts and bolts.

People make all sorts of things with plastic bottles, it’s all on YouTube.

1 Like

This guy grows so many different vegetables in these plastic milk bottles , carrots,lettuce, beans, radish,basil,cucumber,…:open_mouth::open_mouth:

1 Like

I use the item from Pets at Home, where the drinking dish screws into the water bottle. Only £1.50 and very good.

1 Like

I shall look that up , not quite sure Ive seen any . Thanks for the heads up .

1 Like

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/pets-at-home-travel-water-bottle-500ml

Here Eliza.

1 Like

Holly’s.

1 Like

The big bird seed & peanut tubs are great for growing tomatoes

1 Like

glass jars get washed and stored. Great for using as an impromptu vase for bunches of parsley or coriander. Also handy for screws, nails and nuts/bolts to keep under the stairs. The dog empty food foil boxes were handy as bases for seedling pots and yoghurt pots, cardboard egg cartons were useful seedling planters. Wooden ice lolly sticks make plant markers. Cardboard delivery boxes flat packed and kept for when there is a need to move house at some point (or just a need for a box). The big bird seed tubs are also good when you are painting for pouring a bit of paint into instead of lugging the paint pot around. Also less chance of spillage.

Of course you have to balance it all with avoiding too much “might be useful one day” junk.

1 Like

Thanks Jazzi,

1 Like