Do you plan meals for the week?

As much as possible I avoid.

By … eating out .
Not eating meat or fish that cuts out a lot of prep and cooking.
A lot of veg I eat raw .
Chickpeas, avocados, cheese, kidney beans, lot of different beans , wraps , cheese , salads , I do cook eggs . I buy ready cooked pasta & microwave rice.
When I make something like swede and carrot mash, portion it out and freeze
I do bake a cake.
I mainly use my oven for storage and Christmas lunch.
Here’s my kitchen it’s empty …I have a kettle and air fryer…

My oven storage , I’ve had the oven 2 yrs and not had to put it on a clean cycle

![IMG_2919|450x600]

I display things in my kitchen …honey pots

5 Likes

crikey Rips, like the idea

2 Likes

You’re my hero! That’s so awesome. That’s my goal for one day.

I’m like the other bret. I can’t even plan the day much less the week and every meal in it.

2 Likes

I usually decide what we are having for dinner at breakfast time…have to admit I cook mainly from scratch but occasionally we have ready meals.

We also eat out a lot though…like today we are out to lunch with my daughter and oldest grandson…so we will just have a snack tonight cheese and crackers maybe.

I have pals who have given up cooking altogether and just have ready meals or salads …I think a lot of youngsters are like that too…cooking from scratch is a dying skill.

2 Likes

No plans. I usually decide about half an hour before eating. That sometimes means living on microwave or pre-prepared foods for the main meal around 6.00 p.m. Aways a couple of small oranges afterwards so as to pretend I’m eating healthily. A bit like salad at a barbeque. :slightly_smiling_face:

A good deal of fresh fruit/veg at lunchtime.

2 Likes

I plan what I’m shopping which includes meat of some kind ; vegies of some kind can be frozen pre-packed is it ? - noodles ; exotic far eastern dishes from a packet - all authentic mixes you just provide the meat and maybe some vegies?/

then traditional - pkt of sausages and rissoles for quick fix it meals - lumps of cheese I’m addicted ; bananas and mandarins - two favorite fruits in a large bowl on the tv table sorta>? good quality coffee from the pkt never jar - no milk and just a few sweetners - man of simple tastes - need more women!!

1 Like

I’m curious - what does BH mean?
I presume it’s something that means means wife or partner?
It’s probably something obvious but I’ve been racking my brains and I can’t come up with a plausible answer! :thinking:

1 Like

I don’t plan meal menus ahead, unless I’m expecting visitors for a meal.

If people are coming to stay for a few days, I may have rough meal plans in my head to make sure I get all the shopping I need before they arrive, but I try to choose food that I can be flexible with, rather than have a set meal plan, so my guests have more choice about what and when to eat.

If it’s just for me, I tend to shop for the basics and anything else I might fancy about once or twice a week - then I just wait until mealtimes before deciding what I fancy or what needs eating up from whatever is in the fridge, cupboard, freezer.

As I don’t eat meat, most of my meals consist mostly of veg and fruit, with a few nuts or grains and occasional eggs and cheese, so they are usually quick to rustle up and I don’t really need to plan ahead.

This year, I’ve been growing quite a bit of my own veg, so I have been eating quite a lot of salads or stir fries with whatever is ready to eat in the garden.
I’ve also been going through a phase of making frittata, using whatever veg need eating up.
When Winter arrives, I’ll probably go back to batch-cooking veggie casseroles and soup then freezing it in single portions for quick meals I don’t have to plan ahead.

1 Like

I believe to mean Better Half :wink:

3 Likes

Ahhh!
I thought it must be something to do with half but couldn’t think what!
I’ve seen folk use OH before but I couldn’t work out what the B might be! - Doh!

I did wonder if it maybe meant “Beautiful Half” :heart_eyes: :joy:

2 Likes

Yes us wimen are the better best beautiful half :wink:

3 Likes

Yes it means that too.

2 Likes

Not for the week, but I do ask Hubby the night before what he wants the next day for dinner.

1 Like

I don’t plan meals at all. Before the pandemic I would shop almost daily though not necessarily for that evening’s meal.

I eat out a lot but when I cook I tend to cook about five meals at a time and freeze them, also I buy pre-packaged frozen meals.

This arvo I drove back from Canberra so wanted something quick and easy so I got a wholemeal roll out of the freezer, fried a piece of bacon and an egg bunged them in the roll with some HP sauce and a dash of Tabasco. That was my evening meal. Easy as…

No never plan other than maybe make something that can be used the next day.
I rarely cook and use the oven very rarely since fuel prices became so high.

1 Like

Same with me. My wife does the gardening, DIY, family accounts, shopping and cleaning. I make her a cup of tea on occasions, if it does not interfere with my TV programmes.

1 Like

I buy a £1 bag of small potato’s and boil them all, in my fridge i have chicken,pork and steaks, while the spuds boil i deide which meat i’m having
when boiled i drain the spuds and plate how many i require, i then put the lid on the pot… the following day i boil the kettle and pour over the spuds, i then reboil them, as soon as the water boils the spuds are ready, so i drain and plate however many i require, then put the lid back on the pot…lol… the third day i half all the remaining spuds and fry them along with steak-belly pork or chicken, next i will do oven chips. as i’m sure you appreciate i dont spend a lot of time in the kitchen,then as soon as i empty my plate, i wash everything…i usually eat to ‘pointless’ and wash when the news comes on, then i check the date… i leave on the 12th of October…lol

1 Like

Not especially…I just think ahead when it comes to defrosting things slowly and safely in the fridge, chicken springs to mind.

1 Like

I try to but usually end up changing it half way through 🫤

1 Like

I fully respect people who do not like to cook. (Get that out of the way.)
For me, cooking is one of the great pleasures in life. My five gas burner, twin oven range is a joy. Helped by my gas & charcoal barbeque and my outdoor wood fired oven. Supported by a double door / double freezer drawer fridge and a big chest freezer. Cooking old and new recipes is my definition of fun and fulfilment. (As is eating out. Never do takeaway.)
But - plan for the week? Nope, maybe plan 2-4 days ahead to try to avoid waste. And always try to use local or home grown ingredients. I’ve worked on my knife skills to speed the prep work and changing the veg cutting from drudge to a few minutes with a very sharp knife makes the creative part much more appealing. That’s my only bit of advice.

2 Likes