Do you pick up other people's accents?

I’ve been listening to Lewis Capaldi interviews on YouTube for months. Lewis Capaldi is Scottish.

For a while, I was picking up some of his words. Most of the time, I censored myself before I said them out loud, but sometimes a phrase or two would slip out. :rofl: I’d get silence on the other end of the conversation.

His accent still sticks in my head sometimes.

Anyone else notice their accent changes when they’re listening to someone with a strong accent?

No, I don’t and I wouldn’t know why I should do that. There’s no accent other than my own :smiley: that appeals to me anyway. Plus, I could always afford not to. I know that there are circumstances when people may feel pressured to pick up the local accent for fear of discrimination by either the decision makers or the local population. One case in point is my SiL who tried to suppress her accent and picked up the local one because she was afraid that customers would not come back if she didn’t use the local accent.

Perhaps you should remember Sean Connery who said: ‘To cultivate an English accent is already a departure away from what you are.’ and turn it around. If was right for him, it’s right for other people as well.

1 Like

This is a talk forum, not a speech forum. Otherwise my I would talking broad Scots rather than my hearties from the West Countries.

1 Like

I have been in England for almost sixty years, and have a Scots accent
but last year in Goa i was in the chemists and a turbaned fellow next to me asked
'Which part of Yorkshire do you come from" i was erm gobsmacked “What makes you ask that?” he grinned “I come from Bradford and recognise the accent” i told him Doncaster… lol…
i was devastated, non of my English friends in Goa can hear any trace of Yorks…lol… i think i altered my speach so the chemist might understand me better… honest

1 Like

What got you the Scots accent if you lived in England for sixty years?

My twenty years in Scotland, plus my first sweetheart/wife was a scot

There’s lots of Scots in this part of Oz and they’ve still got a strong accent even if they’ve been here for years.

1 Like

That explains! My first wife was Chinese so I could converse fairly well in Cantonese. My dear wife now is from Georgia (USA). so a real southern accent. People love her speak…

2 Likes

I have never lived in London, but I have been told I have a pronounced London accent, which I believe I picked up from my mother.

1 Like

There are a lot of different accents in London. My brother for for example. And my sister. Then there’s Buckingham Palace…

2 Likes

Accents are what makes us different, yet wherever i have gone i find folk are if not the same then certainly similar.
everywhere you also find plonkers, but maily people are nice.

I like the Trotters with Delboy and Rodney.

My father never lost his scottish accent and he lived here for over 60 years.
I love accents from all over the UK country .

Yes if I am in the company of people with an accent for any length of time find myself inadvertently speaking in their dialect

1 Like

I’ve lived in London 50+ years, people say I’m two-tone sloaney shebu yuppie.

Nice one !!

I find Brit accents fascinating.Towns quite near eg:Liverpool and Manchester can sound so different.I’m sure it must happen in other countries too.

Tam o’Shanter

When chapman billies leave the street,
And drouthy neibors, neibors, meet;
As market days are wearing late,
And folk begin to tak the gate,
While we sit bousing at the nappy,
An’ getting fou and unco happy,
We think na on the lang Scots miles,
The mosses, waters, slaps and stiles,
That lie between us and our hame,
Where sits our sulky, sullen dame,
Gathering her brows like gathering storm,
Nursing her wrath to keep it warm.

I can pick up some accents. East Anglian because I have relatives who live there. West Midlands because my partner came from there and when she is tired or angry the accent and phrases used are really strong. Scottish and Welsh are picked up. But I cannot pick up on the northern counties. I once called a lady from Durham a Geordie. Not a good idea…

Scots again…

The Whistle

He cut a sappy sucker from the muckle rodden-tree,
He trimmed it, an’ he wet it, an’ he thumped it on his knee;
He never heard the teuchat when the harrow broke her eggs,
He missed the craggit heron nabbin’ puddocks in the seggs,
He forgot to hound the collie at the cattle when they strayed,
But you should hae seen the whistle that the wee herd made!