Do you own a 'smart' TV?

When I canceled my TV service, I was told by the company that it was a waste because the internet by itself costs just as much as TV with internet package. They neglected to mention that the taxes, franchise fees and licenses were added on top of the package fee. When I canceled my TV service, all those fees went away, to my surprise.

1 Like

Yes we do, but it’s the one up in the bedroom, which is watched only rarely. The set in the lounge has a firestick attached & that does all we need it to.

1 Like

We have 3 smart TV’s, the latest is a Samsung Frame Art, super cool !

1 Like

We watch quite a lot of TV and bought Samsung’s latest model QLED TV recently. It cost a lot of money but we don’t go out much and holidays not at all. Very rarely spend money on anything other than day to day living. I therefore felt quite OK about spending money on a new smart TV and home theatre system. Even encouraged by one or two of the children to spend their inheritance. :slightly_smiling_face:

Other TVs are in the house too. We have a TV licence because I think I’d find it quite restricting always having to steer clear of anything that is BBC. We have Netflix and Prime too.

1 Like

Nor me :wink:

We have a 43-inch Panasonic wall-mounted Smart TV that is not the brightest candle on the cake for it’s eight (?) years old and the number of apps is limited. That’s why I’ve added a streaming stick. Still fully satisfied with it and don’t miss anything.
It comes with :rofl: a full TV licence since this is mandatory costing 18 quid a month. Yet if it weren’t, I’d have bought one anyway. :innocent:

Does Germany have a TV licence too? I am a bit shocked.

On the subject of TV Licence … when I lived in Portugal the state radio & TV was financed by a small % added to your electricity bill. Cool idea, sounds pretty fair and efficient to me. It costs the bbc £136.5m to collect £3.75bn.

I don’t do TVs. Got my monitor and iPad for movies…

I have an old TV which my dad bought for me years ago but I don’t have the heart to part with it.

2 Likes

They were a pain in the neck Pixie, I kept getting reminders and threatening letters, I think I phoned them up, it was so long ago I can’t remember, but they did say verbally, that I don’t need a tv license for YouTube or Prime Amazon, that’s all I watch.:grin:

Shocked? Why is that then? What did you expect from a country that was badly in need of it when it was introduced by the Allies after the experience with Goebbels’ Ministry of Propaganda? The following decentralised structure was necessary and needed to be financed.
We can’t do without our public broadcasting services as recent developments and, above all, the alternative programmes offered by private channels show which are far from being convincing and are not just “thirteen channels of sh_ _ on the T.V. to choose from” , as Pink Floyd once put it, but many more. There’s a commonly used threat over here saying that a person may get sufficiently punished if being forced to watch those channels “for life”. :wink:

1 Like

We don’t own a smart TV but our HDD/DVD player does connect to the internet.

Nope, and I don’t want one. I’m the only smart one in this house and it will remain that way… forever and forever. Amen. :smirk:

2 Likes

Nope both are “normal” TV’s will eventually get a smart one unless something overtakes them before I need to buy one.

Got a smart TV but just never bothered to connect it to the hub. I’m more a laptop junkie.
TV is absolute rubbish … 40 years ago it was decent and with only 3 main channels.

2 Likes

Just bought a new LG one… I do not understand all it does and probably not even use most features. I just needed to watch TV… Too many things hook to the internet I wish didnt.

We have the ABC funded by the taxpayer but no TV Licence, I thought the UK was the only country with a licence.

As for content I think Frank Zappa said it best

I am the slime oozin’ out
From your TV set

No! Our tv’s are old and stupid. :upside_down_face::innocent: and I’m ok with that

The UK is by far not the only country with a TV licence nor is Germany.
Denmark, France, Greece, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Malta, Austria, Poland, Sweden, Slovenia, Slovakia, the Czech Republic plus the non-European countries Israel, Japan, and South Korea also have one.

Poor bastards.