Do you own a big car/SUV?

There’s no substitute for an intercooled turbo diesel for sheer grunt, and if like mine, with a tweaked (remapped) ECU :+1:

1 Like

now own a Nissan Xtrail Tekna (4wheel SUV). Bit of a stepdown to others I have owned. Ford explorer - toyota Amazon 4,2 diesel (4 of) - toyota 4 runner. Isuzu Citation- Range Rover - land rover freelander- series 3 land rover- Kia sorento . Toyota Amazon GS 4.2 d- 2x lexus RX300 (mk1 crashed into by idiot speeding in narror country land0 replaced with MK2
2 of the amazons I have had

lexus RX300 mk 2

Lexus RX300 MK1

3 Likes

I’m awaiting delivery of my new Yaris cross, kinda like a mini rav 4, so that counts…right?

2 Likes

All cars look similar now :grinning:

1 Like

Yes, looks like the same size as my MG. :white_check_mark:

How come with all this stuff about being green and helping the planet the vehicles in the UK seem to be massive compared to years ago. I have a look around the Tesco car park when I visit and some vehicles are so big and bulky they take up all of the marked parking space and if you park next to one, you can’t open your door…Some of these Hybrid motors have really high bonnets, it’s a wonder the driver can see over them.
I just drive a lowly Nissan Qashqai ntec 2 litre diesel.

1 Like

My tiny 1963 Morris Minor van with it’s absurd 803cc engine was lucky to get 25mpg my Dmax gets approximately 33mpg and requires a lot less maintenance and consumables.

Isn’t that greener?

1 Like

It’s coz folks feel safer in a big metal box than a little metal box, strange that, how safe is a wooden box?

1 Like

I drive a Toyota Rav 4 SUV, hybrid electric, just love it, getting in and out at my age is easy peasy and all them safety features, a great drive and not heavy on petrol, i have managed 60mpg on a long run and yet its got grunt, 218bhp

2 Likes

The RAV has it all great style and performance.

Put that economical less polluting Dmax engine into your Morris Minor van and that would be even greener…And take up less space.

1 Like

My Father had an Impala 1970s which had a V8 engine in it. Was a huge car.

My first one was a tiny thing to get me from point A to point B. Pontiac Acadian. It was great. Then had the chance to get a stylish Mustang which lasted a decade.

However, my absolute favourite was my minivan. The last car I had was demolished by vandals in 2011. Haven’t had a vehicle since.

I miss driving like crazy BUT the costs of everything makes it an improbable circumstance.

I’m still hoping to putter around on a double seated scooter.

Anything to save gas and money. Nevertheless, the waste and destruction if barrels upon barrels in the 1980s will bring an end to the already reduced supplies.

We may have to find someone which can use corn oil or any oils to power our cars and heat our homes.

1 Like

Oil is not a fossil fuel Supergirl, and is an endless supply.

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/on-energy/2011/09/14/abiotic-oil-a-theory-worth-exploring

1 Like

I think it does, common or not.

As per definition it doesn’t. Have had this one for eighteen months now.

1 Like

We have a Ford Kuga diesel, automatic,18 months old and i get 58-7miles to the gallon.
Drives like a dream.

2 Likes

I know the size of a fuel tank, and how many I have used, and what volume that equates to, then extended this to all the other potential users, the total exceeded the internal volume of this planet, as yet, no one has offered a reasonable explanation for this condition.

2 Likes

My daughter and her hubby have several cars including a Nissan Patrol 4 by 4. recently the diesel engine failed so they replaced it with a 6 litre V8 petrol engine.

Now that is what I call big. My car is just a tiddler in comparison.

1 Like

It’s a good job we are all cutting back at this side of the planet…

…and we thank you for your contribution.

I think the 6 litre V8 is what new Patrols are fitted with these days, theirs is a fair few years old but it should last them for many years yet (it also received new suspension).

When we consider the damage caused to the planet by a big diesel or petrol that will will last for over 300,000 miles plus, and at least 20 years, or an Electric Vehicle that will probably need a new battery in ten years or changed for a new vehicle after just five. I think the diesel and petrol are probably the most planet friendly. The EV might not pollute as much during it’s lifetime, but what about the pollution in making the thing, and the damage to the environment to recover lithium and cobalt.