Do you own a big car/SUV?

I have been watching the American show, Columbo, 1968 to 2003.
The thing that stands out in this series is the very large cars of the era. From the Mercury Marauder, 5.3 meters, Dodge, Ford LTD, Plymouths, Chevy Impala, Cadillac, Buicks, Lincoln, Thunderbird, The Imperial Baron to possibly the longest of them all, 1975 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five. At 6.25 meters.
Everything is big in America.
Probably because of big families, low cost fuel, Bigger meaning safer?(crash wise)

1 Like

That was our ancestors rubbing salt in the wound, whilst they sat in Caddy Fleetwoods they sent us Ford Pops. :grin:

1 Like

That’s quite a generalization. Looking at the stats, the population growth rate is higher in Australia. Fuel cost is variable but based on global factors, I think.

Columbo is super old. Those big cars were popular decades ago, not as much currently.

https://www.indexmundi.com/factbook/compare/united-states.australia

1 Like

Recently bought a Lexus SUV a very comfortable drive and stylish .
2weeks ago took it up the Brecon Beacons / Bannau Brycheiniog
It didn’t let me down :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Old Holden Commodore Station Wagon.Someone pinched the badge off the front last week.Must be a collector’s item now they don’t make them

2 Likes

We have a Honda CRV it’s such a comfortable useful car .

1 Like

Nice looking vehicles those. My MG ZS Excite looks similar, though smaller.

There are some dastardly people around about. :angry:

1 Like

My load lugger is not an SUV and is a 10yr old pathfinder 4x4 I’ve owned from new. She is a good workhorse with a tow hitch and winch for my vehicle trailer. This old girl will continue pleasing me until I pack up driving. She is a very easy load lugger to work on and always starts 1st time :+1:

1 Like

I am not sure if my car counts as big. it weighs a couple of tonnes and has a 3 litre turbo diesel but it is a pretty common type here now that the old Ford or Holden family cars are no longer made.

I am quite happy with it. it only uses about 10 litres of fuel per 100km and doesn’t notice my camper when it is towing.

It’s an Isuzu Dmax

1 Like

Plenty of grunt there. :+1:

There’s no substitute for an intercooled turbo diesel for sheer grunt, and if like mine, with a tweaked (remapped) ECU :+1:

1 Like

now own a Nissan Xtrail Tekna (4wheel SUV). Bit of a stepdown to others I have owned. Ford explorer - toyota Amazon 4,2 diesel (4 of) - toyota 4 runner. Isuzu Citation- Range Rover - land rover freelander- series 3 land rover- Kia sorento . Toyota Amazon GS 4.2 d- 2x lexus RX300 (mk1 crashed into by idiot speeding in narror country land0 replaced with MK2
2 of the amazons I have had

lexus RX300 mk 2

Lexus RX300 MK1

3 Likes

I’m awaiting delivery of my new Yaris cross, kinda like a mini rav 4, so that counts…right?

2 Likes

All cars look similar now :grinning:

1 Like

Yes, looks like the same size as my MG. :white_check_mark:

How come with all this stuff about being green and helping the planet the vehicles in the UK seem to be massive compared to years ago. I have a look around the Tesco car park when I visit and some vehicles are so big and bulky they take up all of the marked parking space and if you park next to one, you can’t open your door…Some of these Hybrid motors have really high bonnets, it’s a wonder the driver can see over them.
I just drive a lowly Nissan Qashqai ntec 2 litre diesel.

1 Like

My tiny 1963 Morris Minor van with it’s absurd 803cc engine was lucky to get 25mpg my Dmax gets approximately 33mpg and requires a lot less maintenance and consumables.

Isn’t that greener?

1 Like

It’s coz folks feel safer in a big metal box than a little metal box, strange that, how safe is a wooden box?

1 Like

I drive a Toyota Rav 4 SUV, hybrid electric, just love it, getting in and out at my age is easy peasy and all them safety features, a great drive and not heavy on petrol, i have managed 60mpg on a long run and yet its got grunt, 218bhp

2 Likes