Do you leave your Wireless Router on all the time?

I always turn mine off every night too.

Always turn off any electrical appliance every night where you can, not just for saving money either, but in case of fire. :wink:

I have a new Hub as my Router was causing a few problems, the BT man did it for me. I asked about unpluging it and he said no leave it plugged in so I do but I turn everything else off as we live in a wooden house.

I have always turned my hub off when retiring for the night and have not experienced any adverse effects as a result. I suppose we all have different views on this subject but I don’t see the point of leaving the hub turned on when we are not using it. The only thing that is left on is, of course, the Tivo box.

We turn our Sky router off most nights but because I’m not sleeping well at the moment were leaving it switched on as I go on the internet in the early hours of the morning. :slight_smile:

BT will always recommend leaving the router on 24/7…

you get your Homehub,… but BT Openzone and BT Fon actually use YOUR router, which remains BT property.

That is how they can claim such massive coverage!

Easy to check, switch the box off and note that Openzone AND Fon have disappeared too!

I only switch mine on as and when I use it, otherwise it stays off at the mains. There are many arguments by experts concerning the life of the components being stressed by constant on/off cycles, but leaving them on can also cause stress due to heat. So whatever you do, someone will say it’s wrong! A spare router is worth considering in case of failure - cheap enough on eBay.

I think you’re right there Pete, your damned if you do and you’re damned if you dont, a spare one is the safest bet.

Just had a look through my computer spares box - I’ve got three routers of various makes. Probably a bit of overkill, but I just can’t throw 'em away!

I’ve got lots of things like that. Paid good money for them and even though they have become redundant, I too can’t bring myself to throw them out. Speakers, amplifiers, old computer parts …all sorts of things, even an oscilloscope.

I turn mine when I turn the computer off.

BT told me not to turn it off as it can cause problems, they think the line is faulty apparently, I just shut my computer down. Brenda

I never leave anything on stand-by, nor do I leave sockets in the ON position, as you’re still using a small amount of electricity which adds to your bill. It may be just a trickle, but every penny counts with electricity use.

I have a wired router which gets turned off at the socket, as well as my computer, when I’ve finished with them so the only things left plugged in are my washing machine, fridge and freezer.

Unless you have anti-surge protection, which many domestic homes do not have, there is a slim chance of fire if there’s a lightning strike, or a power surge from your sub-station, which could back up to your sockets and cause serious problems, but that would be extremely rare, and it isn’t always practicable to switch all sockets off.

Brenda, I’d be very wary if I was told by my internet provider that shutting down my router might cause problems.

I have a server running 24 hours a day every day, along with the router it is connected to. It does add to my electricity bill that is for sure :cry:. The router isn’t really the culprit but the electricity hogging server - full of scsi hard drives and multiple cooling fans and the like :shock:.

my router is on 24/7

Mine too, I have never turned one off in all the years I have had broadband.

I have had this router I have now (Netgear like this one) for about 6 years and haven’t once turned it off.

The only times it has been powered down has been when we’ve had power outages - I haven’t touched it.

Moral of my wee story is - it still works. So I’d leave it alone if I were you.

Items left on all the time use their little bit of electricity. It might not be much but multiply that usage by millions because many in the World are all doing the same. Must amount to an unknown but very large number of megawatts. A lot of energy that could perhaps be saved? That’s partly why I switch off at the mains where possible. It all helps I suppose.

Yes, but what if turning it off and on all the time causes them to break down quicker? Think of the cost of a new router for everybody every few years. Doesn’t work out any cheaper.

I always turned my router off after use until the piddly little switch failed. Then, being a tv engineer, I bypassed the switch. That was 2 years ago and since then its been permanently on with no noticeable increase in cost.