Do you know your Heritage?

My surname is of Irish descent, from County Roscommon.
The current distribution throughout the world is 81% USA, 11 % Great Britain, 6% Canada,
2% Ireland, and 1% my island home Australia.
So most of my relatives went to the USA.
My relatives were shipped out as convicts to Botany Bay in Sydney and Port Arthur in Tasmania.
I was born in Tasmania so I am from fine convict stock.

5 Likes

That means your aristocracy here in Oz

2 Likes

Anglo-Saxon me.

1 Like

Too true.
I hold my head high because of my ancestry. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Indian with a touch of Portuguese.

2 Likes

You are assuming you are related to everyone that shares your name? That’s unlikely.

2 Likes

I’m related to a Charge of the Light Brigade officer, going further back, English landowners. But I make nothing of those particular lines because it’s now so watered down. eg I’m 50% my mother’s son and, as lovely as she was, was from a family known for nothing in particular.

2 Likes

A few generations back some of those went to the USA. About 3 years ago I had a letter from some of the descendants tracing family history . Somehow they found me and wanted to see if I could help with the UK side. Reading the letter they found out that on the USA side one ancestor was at the battle of little big horn with Custer. Apparently they were camping in the next field and went to complain about the noise

3 Likes

I am very involved in my Husbands Ancestry and have done very little on my own…I looked up my maiden name and this is what it says…
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/name-origin?surname=kurn

Husbands has been addictive as 3rd Great Grandma was French and a French Huguenot so the family is very well documented…

2 Likes

I don’t know my heritage. I have no interest in it and consider it irrelevant to me.

2 Likes

Maybe I should have said people with my surname emigrated mostly to the US. There are 2635 of them there. The spelling of my surname is rare here in Australia, with 73.

1 Like

Yes I did an dna test

1 Like

Yup. Mom was Norwegian and Dad is a Finn.

3 Likes

All 100% Italian.

2 Likes

Russian, Irish and German…just means I can drink all day and still stay sober.

5 Likes

I am a mutt of English-Irish-Scottish-Swiss-Austrian ancestry.

It constantly amazes me is that each of us is part of an unbroken line of two young people who fell in love, started a little family, worked hard enough and had the good fortune of seeing those offspring raised to repeat the cycle. - through famines, wars, climate changes, endemics, pandemics - you name it - all the way back to the Common Ancestor. Just imagine!

3 Likes

Yes, but, PSEXtreme, you suffer daily internal conflict over what to drink. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Majority Wins…I stick with Vodka

3 Likes

The mind boggles when we think about all the things that could have gone wrong for any one of those offspring through the years.

1 Like

I don’t actually know although I harbour this fantasy that I discover that I’m from very high ranking Norman stock. It gets better, I then undertake further research only to discover that I own half of Sussex!

Well you never know! :wink:

3 Likes