Do you have an ipad what do you use it for

Much of that went right over my head except that you’ve managed to install Linux on an iPad.

Some techy things I’m pretty clued up on; others I have no idea. For instance I’ve barely ever used a Microsoft product thus have no clue about Windows or Microsoft’s own products (do they still make anything apart from the surface?)

I like Apple products for their simplicity of use and aesthetics. Most of them come with a built in tips app but I find them intuitive. Was my phone worth £1000? Perhaps not, but it is the best phone I’ve ever owned. Same goes for the iPad - iOs 11 really opened up its possibilities but I tend to stay away from the ultra techy side of things and just enjoy the device.

My MacBook may be a glorified Chromebook for all I use it for: I should really investigate more of what it can do, but I find it fine as is even with just the one USB-C port. I was surprised genuinely the other day when I discovered that it had a 3.5mm headphone jack. I, like many others have moved away to BT head and earphones.

YES,it’s loading perfectly…and WITHOUT needing to ‘jailbreak’ the iPad!

[If one were of lesser breeding,one would be demonstratively jubilant]

Pug, I’m keeping my fingers crossed that you are able to set your IPad up the way you want it … hope it all goes well :smiley:

Inherited an iPad from Mrs Dobra. How can I reset it to as new condition please, so I can start from scratch ?

This video may help you Dobra …

There is a setting.

Settings>general>reset>erase all content and settings.

This will give you an as new iPad.

Got three…one stuck on iOS 9…use that one as a radio basically!
Another connected to the TV for streaming purposes.
And the new one that is completely up to date and used for everything you might use an iPad for-like paying off the credit card,ordering concert tickets,various word game apps.
If anyone is on WordswithFriends,Grabbyword,WordChums,Scrabblego,Wordfeud or Boggle look me up.
Also upload to my you tube channel.Not a lot there but it’s good!
And plain old surfing the web and posting on my various forums

Mine is incredibly useful. Mostly to assist my photography as it links together with my camera. Also use it to showcase my images to people. Sometimes I will lay in bed and watch stuff - or if I’m totally bored, a game or two of Candy Crush.

1 Like

It’s amazing to me that I lived most of my life without my iPad ! :slight_smile:
I can talk to my son in Australia with it I can store my paintings on it .
I can watch Netflix
There is not much it can’t do.

1 Like

Sudoku

1 Like

It’s the only form of computer that I have so I use it for everything
I do have an older one that has become obsolete as it won’t access anything.

1 Like

I’ve got a samsung galaxy tab A - is that an ipad - always thought it was?

Ipads are a make of tablet made by Apple. Galaxy Tabs are made by Samsung. They have different operating systems, Ipads have Apple’s IOS and Tabs run Android.

2 Likes

so wot difference does that make to the price of sliced bread then ? It seems to do evreything that apple does emails ; forums ; searches etc - but how can I link it to the net - my laptop I use a dongle - that slots into a side vent and they charge me $30 a month to use -but the samsung won’t take a dongle heh? does the apple? dongle = usb

Yes, Sudoku, every time I fire it up, it tells me it ain’t been updated for three years or so, what does it expect from a Luddite?

Both have pros and cons to each, but by and large, what one can do, so can the other.
They should have wifi connectivity, but some will accept a sim card and can connect to a network.

My first Ipad had only wifi, which meant I could only use it online when I could access a local signal. So a workaround was to buy a “Mifi” box which had a sim to a network and it broadcast a wifi signal so I could use it anywhere.

If you have a smartphone, you can usually create a wifi hotspot to allow a tablet or other device to the internet via the phone. I’m unfamiliar with what dongle you’re using, but the Samsung will have a USB port and the Apple uses a Lightening Port, both are completely different, although you may find a widget which allows a USB into an Apple port (or vice versa)

The Wife has just bought the 10th generation ipad so I have inherited her old one, I hope this one isn’t to get updated periodically :grin:

Reading, art and creating music.

I have a very ancient IPad that the Apple don’t any more but still works fine

I’ve taken everything off a except the Kindle app and I use it to store recipe books I’ve bought on Kindle

I also take screen shots of recipes and store them in photos. It’s very useful and saves me cluttering up with too many recipe books

iPad? Errrrmmm