Do you have a strong accent?

If everyone could come out, this could be an EPIC thread

Californian with a little southern American slipping in from time to time. When I am in California I am told that I speak like a southerner and when I am in Florida, I am told I speak like someone from the west coast. That means that people are generally happier when I donā€™t talk at all!

By the way, Southern accents portrayed in most television shows and movies are embarrassingly exaggerated and usually donā€™t match the locale in the scripts. Tom Hanks accent in ā€œForrest Gumpā€ comes to mind as one that makes me cringe.

I love accents though. The make for good spice.:smiley:

1 Like

Iā€™m reading your comment trying to imagine your accent :-p

Forgive me, I revert to CNN reportersā€™s accents when I read your posts :038:

2 Likes

:lol: :023:

But if you prefer Fox, Iā€™ll switch

Bbc english, circa 1950ā€™s You Oiks

Soft Hebridan Brogue, Highland and Island English is the variety of Scottish English spoken by many in the Scottish Highlands and the Hebrides. It is more strongly influenced by Gaelic than other forms of Scottish English.

Welsh accent and proud of it.

I like the Scottish accent.Thereā€™s a lot around here and no matter how long theyā€™ve been here itā€™s still as strong as when they got off the plane.
I donā€™t have much of a Welsh accent but everyone thinks Iā€™m Irish.

For the life of me I imagine Basil Fawlty. Must be your Avatar

Nice! Great rugby team too :slight_smile:

That sounds fabulous. Do you speak Gaelic as well?

Hebrew (Modern and Shul), German, Polish, Yiddish, and ā€œMoscowā€ Russian.

Enough Latin to get by and some French. The only language that I can never get into is Portuguese, especially Brasilian Portuguese.

My first language was Yiddish closely followed by English and Russian.

Iā€™ve picked up a few others enough to find the ā€œbeds and bogsā€ but not what could be described as even semi fluently.

But youā€™re a Kiwi.

Watch this :slight_smile: the presenter is South African

Truth be told, I am not one for sensationalist political entertainers - either conservative or liberal - who pretend to be journalists.

Iā€™ll keep my ears open for someone who sounds like meā€¦:-D.

Yes please :slight_smile:

Yorkshire and proud. I do tend to chuck in the odd Yorkshire dialect word which makes it difficult for people to understand, especially by those brought up on a diet of American soaps and other TV shows. Proper Yorkshire language is slowly being erased. :frowning:

Thatā€™s sad. As Surfermom said, accents add spice

Having just watched a YouTube tutorial, seems I speak Estuary English! When talking to family.

However, I tend to talk a little better when with neighbours, people I meet outside, or on the phone to relatives.

Many years ago, in my early days of working at the Indian bank, one of the IBTOs (India Based Trainee Officer) said to me when she was due to leave for home ā€˜Janet, whenever I couldnā€™t understand you, Iā€™d smile a lotā€™.