Do you grow your own food?

Simples… :+1:

1 Like

We used to when OH was able & loved the garden. We had raised beds & the greenhouse was stuffed full. Now everything is sadly neglected.

1 Like

Yes I cover it all with netting, pegged down into the ground. Also the dog is good at lying out the back and he sees them off.

1 Like

Hi

I grow loads, in raised beds using the square foot method.

My potatoes I grow in bags, very cheap.

I also have a polytunnel and two herb beds.

I reuse the compost on the flowerbeds, they need it because it is very heavy clay.

Peat free compost, growmore and fish, blood and bone in the spring.

I compost down chicken manure, which is free around here, with sheep droppings and use that as a liquid feed.

It works.

2 Likes

I’ve only ever grown toms and strawberries from scratch, but don’t grow anything now.

A few houses ago, I inherited such a wonderful garden. It was full of fruits - rhubarb, gooseberries, black/red/white currant bushes, plum, apple and pear trees.
It was a happy time with all that that garden offered, as I was into baking and making jams. Oh, those were the days :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

We grow a fair amount, certainly going to upt that next season,
Many people have veggies plots and they grow loads and I feel I missing out.
Potatoes were good but ended up with no enough…Toms would not grow from seeds at all this year…Tried several types…one cherry tomato grew and tastes good, just the size of a pea though…
Weather this past spring time was a let down for growing seeds in general…Will have another go and hopefully one day get that blimmin greenhouse erected…greenhouse is a swearword in this house at the moment .
When we were in our last UK property, husband decided to try growing some runner beans in doors…had a front conservatory, weird it was…anyway it took off as the room had lots of Sun…only greenage though grew…as it took over all the windows we started getting condensation, experiment a failure…
see where the door is… :thinking: :crazy_face:.

at least a 1 metre drop if you open the Conservatory Door…

3 Likes

Swimmy…a shop in town is selling large bags of compost for half price…would it be viable to take advantage of the bargain and keep it until the Spring? It would be fine wouldn’t it? Providing I kept it dry.

Edible art home grown this Summer !

4 Likes

Hi

Absolutely Pixie.

1 Like

Thank you! :hugs:

Ummm… :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

I must admit I was a little over-excited to grow a cucumber for the first time!

2 Likes

I noticed in the garden centre recently, straight glass cumber trainers … it takes all sorts😉

:blush: I had never heard of such contraptions (far to advanced for my level of cucumbership) but it seems they were an invention of the engineer George Stephenson.

2 Likes

Its like those square cubes that the Japanese made to grow melons in. It was so they could fit more of them onto shelves and into boxes. A square melon??!!

1 Like

So, apparently there’s vegetable aesthetics to contend with!
Whatever next!

those are real? I thought it was just photoshopped

2 Likes
3 Likes

Designer fruit and vegetables!
Whatever next!

2 Likes

I grow s few tomatoes outside, very hot Chillies in the conservatory.
The rest is fruit, red, black, white and pink currants rhubarb, blackberries raspberries, plums, apples in the ground., loads of blueberries in pots, because the soil isn’t suitable.
Growing veg is too much trouble and get eaten by pests.

1 Like