Do You Get Many Visitors These Days?

That bit of your OP made me giggle! :rofl:
I can honestly say I have never thought that when I’ve had visitors, although it reminded me that my Mum sometimes did!
If I was visiting her on a “Corrie night” she would say to me
“Look, you’re welcome to stay but I’m going to watch Coronation Street in ten minutes - if you don’t want to sit and watch it with me, you may as well go now!”
I would often stay and watch it with her because she liked to chat about it afterwards, as if the characters were part of our neighbourhood!
I found it rather an endearing trait. :slightly_smiling_face:

As for me, I would rather have visitors and miss my favourite TV programmes (that’s what “catch up TV is for! :wink: )

I’ve enjoyed having a fair few visitors and house guests in the last few weeks, as my family and friends have started venturing out from their Winter hibernation and travelling a bit further afield.

If I’m honest, I prefer folk to give me a little notice before they visit, if only an hour or two notice, rather than turning up on my doorstep out of the blue - mainly because I usually only have enough fresh food in the house for one person when I’m on my own, so I like to have time to do a bit of baking or to buy some fresh food in for them.
I always greet unexpected visitors with a smile and a cuppa but I like to have the makings of a meal or at least some sandwiches, cake and biccies to offer them too.

As for shoes, most of my visitors remove their outdoor shoes when entering a house, as I do too, but it doesn’t worry me if guests don’t - I have a couple of friends who aren’t very mobile and would find it difficult to bend down and remove their shoes, so I always try to make them feel comfortable about leaving their shoes on. Their comfort is more important to me than the risk of a bit of dirt on my carpet which I can clean up later if necessary.

2 Likes

If only everyone could be that straight forward it would avoid so much confusion and uncertainty. :+1:

2 Likes

Some decades ago on the farm…
We had cats, And my dog. They all got along just fine,

1 Like

Recently, I three separate half hour visits in one day. Then I might not see anyone for a week or 10 days sometimes, unless I go out of course.

Oooops! remember I was going to lunch with friends? I received a SMS from the Bowlo…

1 Like

I’m getting grumpy in my old…ish age. I dont want anyone to come knocking at my door. I love to go meet friends for coffee in a coffee shop though but I akways am just happy to get home to my bubble again. Just me, John, Loki and Jako.

I’ve changed in this way only over the past couple of years. I was such a social butterfly my poor John never knew where I was!

I’m guilty of pretending I’m not home but usually to salesmen or bible bashers…God will forgive me though.

1 Like

This is going to sound odd but you wouldn’t expect different . Since my husband retired and we moved here, we are much more social. Every couple of months we usually have guests over for a formal dinner party.

So far , we only have guests over who are vaccinated . This way everyone involved feels safe. We still respect peoples personal space and our dogs are always well behaved. We never invite our pets over to other peoples houses. Thats somewhat rude. Not everyone likes other peoples dogs in their house and I respect that.

Last year we had plenty of visitors from across Canada and this year we will have even more.
This year we are having 11 people from other provinces visit us. Our neighbours visit often also. It’s something I never used to like but I’ve grown to really like it. I actually really like entertaining guests and we go all out. Spoiling others is our specialty. :grin:

2 Likes

Wow, fascinating to hear how private some of you keep your homes

Not me, I love visitors and sharing and it’s pretty much open house. During the isolation people used to walk past just to wave and as soon as we could we had chats with us in the doorway and them stood outside the front gate.Then garden picnics,I missed everyone so much

Of course their dogs, kids and grandkids are welcome too and I wouldn’t dream of laying down the law about taking their shoes off! (although we do when we got to other people’s houses)

1 Like

I agree.

2 Likes

I for one have never wanted visitors and I have never liked visiting others.:smiley::smiley:

I dislike visiting others also but if people invite us, we most often go. We just leave earlier than most. We have pets to care for so timing is important to us.

1 Like

Yes, I agree with you about not leaving the animals alone too lomg Bratti.:+1:
I only wish more people cared about this, too.

1 Like

Mungo is far more likely to be invited to peoples places that us he is welcomed in and offered biscuits and gravy bones .

1 Like

I used to get visitors in my last house all the time but now I’ve moved area not so much…maybe its because of Covid and I’m new to the area and I’ll get used to it but I have to admit folks here are not as friendly compared to the last village I lived in.

I hope your new village becomes more welcoming to you. Everything seems to be a bit tougher due to Covid.

I think people are more wary since covid not only due to the risk of the virus being transmitted to them or vice versa but I think we have gotten used to our own company or that of immediate family only.

I thought nothing of being out and about pre covid but I have since become not a hermit but a thinker visitor (risk assessment Kazz) they call me now LOL

My friend is the only one who visits us, Son & I, now.
Apart from my Daughter & she doesn’t really count as she used to live here anyway & still almost does. :grinning:

Wearing shoes in the house ……

1 Like

@Muddy - some scary points there! Thank you, Muddy.

One thing when you move you also loose a lot of nearby friendly? neighbours who might just pop in for a chat and coffee.
As this is our 5th move establishing long term person to person friendship doesn’t happen. Friends at our age seem to be getting less and less with the number that have passed away. Family do come here which is nice and neighbours to chat to but visitors non related only one or two now.