Do you ever watch black and white movies?

:pleading_face: :rofl: :pleading_face: :rofl:

It wasn’t me…it was him wot said it.

1 Like

I have the 1963 black and white version of the film, “The Haunting”, which (in my mind) is the finest ghost film ever made, and…you don’t see a single ghost, throughout it. It takes a hellova film to do that! (I saw the remake, and it was a joke.) I’ve seen nothing, since, that has the power and creepiness as “The Haunting”. That was with Claire Bloom, Richard Johnson, Julie Harris, Rosalie Crutchley and Valentine Dyall. I think I fell in love with Julie Harris, in this film and I was still at school.

I also love “Night Of The Demon” (“Curse Of The Demon”, in the USA) and that is excellent, also. If they remake this, they’ll ruin it. Films have been made with the same title, but they aren’t even worth being watched and were not true remakes.

2 Likes

Another B/W film I still watch is Seance on a Wet Afternoon starring Richard Attenborough and Kim Stanley. It is such a good film full of suspense too

2 Likes

And inspiration for Hounds of Love by Kate Bush.

2 Likes

I n fact someone has a mash up on UTube
with the song and scenes from the film.

1 Like

I should have included this with the last one very funny - Billy Liar stars Tom Courtney and the stunning Julie Christie also has Wilfred Pickles as the father and one of the Likely Lads. If you haven’t seen it it is a treat.

1 Like

The film is an absolute masterpiece! So was Kate Bush, come to think of it!

2 Likes

Was that, in the story, genuine supernatural stuff, or just somebody faking in the story?

Love this. Love Kate Bush’s Genre

1 Like

I thought Kate Bush was “a bit of alright” also.

Some other Brit B&W’s to look out for:
Get Carter (with Michael Caine)
Hell Drivers(lots of names inc a young Sean Connery)

1 Like

Yes often. I like the Channel 82 on Freeview, “Talking Pictures” it often shows films in B/W. I love the old Sherlock Holmes ones with Basil Rathbone as Sherlock.

1 Like

Blimey, I’ve got so many B/W movies :movie_camera: on my watchlist now!

1 Like

I tend to think that Wuthering Heights was so brilliant that she’d almost peaked before she’d started if that makes sense.

On the Waterfront with Marlon Brando was great
To Kill a Mockingbird with Gregory Peck showed racism at play.
The Hunchback of Notre-Dame

I’ve watched these two. I enjoyed both.

1 Like

It started off with a bang and then slowed abit. All in all a good watch though so thank you.

It was based on the book Badge of Evil by Whit Masterson published in 1956.

The one thing that strikes me is how men were men and women were women in older movies. Gender based roles if you understand me.

1 Like

Perhaps that’s why I like them. :thinking:

1 Like

All the classic comedies(Marx Bros,Laurel and Hardy,Will Hay etc…) are in B&W

1 Like