Do you ever hear your late parent speaking?

I lost my Mum just before Christmas 2020. I often hear her saying things though. Today I was putting the washing away and was just about to throw away an item of my underwear because the lace trim was coming apart. A voice over my shoulder said “you should get your needle and cotton out and mend those.” So I did!! Mum never wasted a thing and even at nearly 97 detested waste of any sort. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I was driving through a heavy rainstorm a couple of weeks ago and part of the road was flooded - almost like a ford. After I drove through it I heard my Dad’a voice say ‘Now test your brakes’.

3 Likes

Yes…of course I do…every day…even in My dreams…it’s comforting to know My Darlin’ Mum is still looking out for Me :hugs:

3 Likes

No but I hear that last words my Dad ever spoke to me .

I will let you go now .

He died that night

2 Likes

No, never my parents, I never found then very communicative,

But my little brother who died 25 years ago, I talk to him all the time.

5 Likes

I wish I did.

2 Likes

I live in my Mum’s old house - since she passed on, I have renovated and modernised it but I have kept parts of it which she loved and which remind me of her.
The stained glass panels of roses in the front door and the “kissing fishes” tiles in the bathroom were her choice when she lived here and I didn’t have the heart to replace them.
In my mind, I can not only hear her speaking sometimes but I can see her moving around “our” home too - I often hear her voice and her quick stride across the hallway as she moved from room to room - and I see her twinkling eyes and her face breaking into laughter when we shared a joke or when I do something daft, in the way she used to laugh at herself or tried to make light of adversity - even when I look in the mirror, I can see her looking back at me!
Jeez! … I never thought I would turn into my Mum but I have! :laughing:

3 Likes

I see my mum in my sister and I also hear her in my sister , we laugh and say she is like mum

I see my dad in me as I get older I also feel my mum sort of, inside me , like I’m her in a way . I see similarities in me of my dad

2 Likes

I don’t think I hear my parents but one of my sons tells me that he hears himself repeating things to his children that I said to him when he was a kid.

I hope that makes sense.

2 Likes

More likely to hear them Shouting. :smiley:

I don’t hear my parents in a ghostly sense, Although I do see them in my minds eye now and again. I occasionally visualize what Mother would say about my life choices. Disappointment all round, I would think.

Not in a ghostly sense, I don’t believe in such things but every day I hear I the words of my Father…
‘Always achieve some small thing every day no matter how you are feeling’
’ Do it now don’t put it off , remember procrastination is the thief of time
’ Look for the silver lining ’ there will be one somewhere if you look hard enough’
‘Rule your children with love not fear’

My Dad was one in a million …

2 Likes

i’m turning into my Mum too! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. She used to take her handbag to bed. A few weeks ago I woke up from a bad dream that somebody had stolen my handbag. I keep it on the bottom banister in the hall which is stupid I know, because that’s perfect for a burglar.

I went downstairs at 3am, was so relieved to see my bag and took it up to my bedroom.

1 Like

I look in the mirror and see Captain Mainwaring.

I look back 30 years and my father was Captain Mainwaring

Yikes 🫤

2 Likes

I so feel for you and no, while my parents were very good people, we weren’t ones for talking, but, I did lose my wife in September 2020 and not a day goes by that I don’t think about her. But, I have not only lost my wife, but a couple of months ago our disabled daughter also died, as she had a heart attack and never recovered.

My life is not good as I am trying to deal with both bereavements and my remaining family, while in daily contact with me, live many miles away, me in Sheffield and they in Manchester and Blackpool.

But, yes, both are in my thoughts and there are many instances where what they would have said and done come through to me very clearly, but not the same as having them bodily with you.

I have a long process to go through and hopefully I will.

4 Likes

I’ve heard someone call my name on occasions… its always a female but I don’t think its my mum… no idea who it is… very strange

Strangely enough,i hear my parents quite often,and dream of them,my sister and brother have been coming into my dreams a hell of a lot lately,they too are no longer with us.
And i am fed up with dreaming about loosing my bag,i have that dream at least 4 times a week.

1 Like

Talking of dreams - last night was packed with dreams. I woke up and told my husband about them they were so vivid. I dreamt a woman came into our garden and the patio doors were open and she wheeled a child in a pushchair straight in over my brand new carpet (that bit is real!) She said she was going to teach my daughter to knit and did I have any 6mm knitting needles. Then the postman came and brought me an old blue Post Office Savings book with a note to say I still had over £5 in it. Then the woman opened her bag and started throwing all this grey fluff all over my garden path and I told her to clear off. Very weird dreams.:rofl:

1 Like

did you realize that there is now technology that allows you to talk and ask questions of your deceased parents?

1 Like

What is the technology, Gumbud? Where can we learn about it?