Do you ever go for a drive out into the country

The ridiculous price of road vehicle fuel is SO high, anything but essential journeys are no longer on my travel list.

2 Likes

Casual & simply for pleasure driving ended a long time ago for me - although itā€™s certain that the cost of fuel would put me off now. When I first lived in south London, in the 80ā€™s, it was a joy to jump in the car on the weekend and tour round Surrey, Sussex or Kent. See some sights, maybe have a stroll, certainly grab a pub lunch. I then moved north and when I got back to London in the late 90ā€™s I noticed that traffic was so bad that this was no longer fun. It took so long to get out of London and then even longer to get back home. And the country roads were frequently very busy. No fun at all.
Now I am very much out in the country and Iā€™ve forgotten what a queue of traffic looks like. And a drive to the shops, as I just did, is simply functional even though the scenery is lovely. You get used to it.

1 Like

We canā€™t really help it living here, weā€™re surrounded by countryside and big green spaces with sheep in them, fields I think you country folk call them, you have to go yhrough a lot of scenic stuff to get from A to B

Yes, we often go for a drive, weā€™re spoiled for choice, although personally I like the coast more than inland and you canā€™t beat a good city :rofl:!

This Yeo Valley organic garden, a short drive from us

5 Likes

This is where I lived:

7 Likes

I dont drive , but my Son visits and takes me and my dog out into the Vale of Belvoir or along the Grantham Canal .
I can walk from my Village through the countryside a woodland along the River Trent to the next Village , I live in the most Beautiful Countryside ,
I would never be a City dweller ā€¦

2 Likes

Yes I like a drive out the country ,my route often involves a garden centre :wink:
This time of year the countryside is especially lovely with all the fresh green leaves and blossoms.

1 Like

You are blessed to live where you do. A lot of the times one does not appreciate what we have.
Living in Tasmania as I did, I suppose I did not appreciate the beauty surrounding me. It was only after returning from 12 months in Western Australia that I saw the beauty that is Tasmania.

I wish I lived in the country, away from the city. A few more years and I might get there.

Truly beautiful. Is there a forest near by?

I envy you being surrounded by beauty,

So great to live surrounded by greenery.

I donā€™t drive but Iā€™ve many happy memories of cycling in the country.
Hastings to Canterbury in particular.

2 Likes

Yes, there are conifers. And there lakes near us. One is Loch Lintrathen which used as a revoir for Dundee. This is trees and my dog about seventy years ago.

3 Likes

There is a large national park about half hour drive from me and sometimes we like to go and have a wander and take a picnic if the weather is nice. Occasionally I may get to see some roaming deer, horses and ponies which may take a good pic - if I remember to take my camera.

1 Like

No, it was actually on the road doing a nice speed, with a couple in the front and grocery bags on the back seat!

It was Saltire blueā€¦ If I had one, Iā€™d add a cross in white on top and maybe a few Thistle decals :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Customisation, yeah!

2 Likes

Sounds wonderful. I have a note stuck to the inside of my front door - Camera - to remind me to always have my camera. Never know when a picture opportunity may arise.

1 Like

Blimey Mac.That looks like a hotel.How many rooms did have and does it still look like that now. :grinning:

It is a private house. It was the farm where we lived.

1 Like

Hi

Life is never boring where I live.

It is an Ex Council Estate, now currently used as a training area for Anti Terrororris Operation, as the locals proudly brag about.

I have bird feeders front and back, and a pond, all sorts of wildlife here.

I am less than 10 minutes away from a Salmon Weir, otters and Kingfishersā€¦

I am just over 10 minutes away from a huge National Trust Property and Deer Park.

I can watch deer on Haugthmond hill with my telescope early morning and evenings.

3 Likes

That sounds like an idyllic place to live.

We pass countryside wherever we drive to here. I can also walk to it if I feel energetic, which isnā€™t often. We are not far from the coast either.

Would that be Somerset?

1 Like

Arr, that it be mā€™dear.

North Yorkshire is just gorgeousā€¦honest you canā€™t get anywhere nicer and Iā€™m lucky enough to live here surrounded by just beautiful countryside with horses and sheep for neighboursā€¦perfect.