Do you enjoy word games?

My Father was always doing the crossword in the papers and he was really good at it. He would usually be able to complete the whole crossword without referencing any dictionary, et al.
Somehow I started doing crosswords as well and have been doing them for more than 35 years.
If I hear or see a word I have not encountered before then I find out what it means.
That is called learning.
I regularly buy a crossword book called, “Mister Wisdoms Whopper”, it has 27, 400 word crosswords. I can complete these crosswords in less than an hour. Missing on average 10 words.
When completed, those that I did not know, I look up.
I was doing this one day in a cafe, and someone sitting beside me said, " That’s cheating"
I looked askance at him and simply said, “If you do not know something, what do you do? You find out, yes?
It is called learning, not cheating”
Unfortunately he took umbrage and got uppity.
Some people.

I think sitting in public with a book called Mister Wisdoms Whopper would cause some other sort of comment.

3 Likes

When I was working I used to complete the Sydney Morning Herald cryptic crossword every morning (except Fridays). I stopped doing it the day I retired and haven’t completed one since.

These days I do a Suduku puzzle everyday on my phone but they are not very hard, just a matter of elimination really.

1 Like

I do wordle most days…mum was very good at crosswords…I get irritated when I can’t figure them out

1 Like