Do you check your Blood Pressure?

:sweat_smile:…,.,

1 Like

My hypertension was caused by an early life of debauchery - sex, drugs and rock’n’roll … :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Wow, I bet it was worth it! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I thought so at the time … :wink:

3 Likes

And now, alas, you can only think about it😬

Out of interest, was it a single sex boarding school you went to? :disguised_face::innocent:

2 Likes

Naughty! Reminds me of a line from one of my favourite songs….

“Non, je ne regrette rien!”

2 Likes

It was a single-sex public school but not for boarders.

The single-sex girls grammar school was a couple of fields away - here are the girls:

2 Likes

Another interesting thread trashed.

4 Likes

I don’t check my blood pressure for health reasons so much as for practice for getting it down

I get white coat syndrome big time and it leads to them making a bit of a fuss in case it’s really that high

So at home, I take it and then practice ways to reduce it, with gentle breathing, relaxing and meditation and take it again

I can bring it down quite a lot like that so when the doctor etc take it and it’s high, I ask them to give me a few minutes, do the relaxation techniques I’ve practised and the second time they take it, it’s usually still high but down to acceptable

2 Likes

I adopt a similar technique, similar to the advice given on this site:

https://www.bloodpressureuk.org/your-blood-pressure/how-to-lower-your-blood-pressure/monitoring-your-blood-pressure-at-home/how-to-measure-your-blood-pressure-at-home/

which includes:

Before you measure your blood pressure

• Avoid things that can raise your blood pressure in the short term. Don’t measure your blood pressure within half an hour of eating, smoking, drinking caffeinated drinks such as coffee, or exercising. These can all raise your blood pressure temporarily. If you need to use the toilet, go before you measure your blood pressure.
  • Wear loose-fitting clothes. Wear a short-sleeved t-shirt or something with sleeves you can push up easily, nothing tight. This is so that you can fit the cuff around your arm.
  • Rest for five minutes before you take your reading. Sit down somewhere quiet, ideally at a desk or table. Have your back supported with your arm resting on a firm surface and your feet flat on the floor. Stay in this position while you take your blood pressure.
  • Make sure your arm is supported and at the same level as your heart. Position yourself so that your arm is resting on a surface and is at the same height as your heart. Keep your arm and hand relaxed, not tensed.
  • Make sure you are relaxed and comfortable. If you are anxious or uncomfortable, your blood pressure will rise temporarily.

Particularly relevant to me:

Keep still and quiet while you take your reading. Moving, chewing, talking and laughing can affect your reading. Make sure you don’t cross your legs, as this will raise your reading too.

“Chatting-up” an attractive nurse at the surgery/hospital sends my BP sky-high … :047:

3 Likes

Don’t check mine myself, but have it regularly checked at the surgery, last week it was normal the nurse said. I am on BP pills though.

1 Like

Nope. No idea what my BP is nor what it should be.

1 Like

Many say there’s no such thing as high BP your body regulates your BP as needed. if you have a small clot your system will rise your BP to get the proper amount of blood flow to the area affected by the clot. Taking BP medication to lower your BP may be detrimental to your heath.

1 Like

What Is A Normal Blood Pressure By Age? - YouTube

1 Like

No, provided I can’t feel it pumping in my temples, all is Ok!! :icon_wink:

1 Like

This is no joke, I once had a confrontal situation with a couple of smashed druggies, when walking away, I could feel a pounding pulse in my Kidney area, that was most disconcerting!!!

2 Likes

Just showed this to my husband and he said “I wish.” His has recently been as high as 220.

Rose.

When I was an Alkie my one was always 170/185 before my meds, after my meds it came down to 155.

I stopped drinking 2 years ago and its was down to 135 before meds within 6 months .

1 Like

Well done!:clap::clap:

My husband barely drinks. Tonight we are sharing a 330ml can of fruit cider. 1.3 units in the whole can! I shouldn’t think he drinks 2 units a week.

2 Likes

My BP at the Doctors was 136 /86.
I was quite pleased with that .
Blood test results later in the week.

1 Like