Do You Change The Battery In Your Car Key Fob?

Roj, When you speak of the ‘polarity’. I take it you mean that the battery is placed in the right way up?
Or, are you referring to something else regarding the battery?

1 Like

yes, normally there is only one way they will fit into the holder properly

1 Like

That’s OK then, you have a reference to the polarity with the way the battery goes in. The YouTube link below is just how easy it was on my VW Golf, probably the same on other makes and models too:

1 Like

Yes, Or when you take it out just mark the top of the old battery with a marker pen so least u know which side of the battery is up.
The one I did was on a old Nissan and the battery could be installed either way .Mistake I made I just swapped it out without checking the polarity,screwed it all back together and it did’nt work.So I had it open it up again and turn the battery over.

1 Like

Learning the hard way is something you never forget though, that’s what I’ve always found.
:grinning:

2 Likes

I keep spare batteries in a partitioned box, and usually have the CR types, as well as those for remotes and smoke alarms, etc., so the 9v, and the AA/AAA.

I have several alarms here now, to include gas detectors, so need to ensure I always have spare 9v in.

However I had to buy higher priced AA this week for my garden cam, but Tesco were dealing deals.

1 Like

I found l had a spare CR 2025.

As l was removing the battery to replace it, l found there were two batteries in the key fob.

I am going into town soon, so l will get some more. I suppose, Duracell are the best brand to get… aren’t they?
Or should, l go to Halfords to buy them?

Would you believe it? One key fob wouldn’t work this morning as I was going out, came back for the spare. This afternoon prised the fob apart to check battery type…and I haven’t got one! Argh. :rage:. For some reason I have several 2016, but not the 2025. Just have to hope the other one doesn’t go in the meantime, then I will need to use the key.

1 Like

I don’t get in any hurry to replace them. After all how hard is it to hit the lock all button when you get out. As far as getting into the car, car fobs are relatively new, back in caveman days we simply used the key. Apparently there was too much work involved in that so…BTW I don’t need my car to drive itself, or park itself when I am unable to do this myself it’s time to give up driving.

1 Like

I agree, Danny.
I have my key fob, plus an ordinary manual spare key without batteries.
Even if the battery in the fob did go again, I can still use it manually and turn the key in the lock like we used to.

2 Likes

As a non driver/non car owner, I am a bit confused about this battery for the keys, and onboard computers? I know technology has improved, but not sure how it applies to cars. I haven’t been in a car for 3 years, and that was a taxi, so…I know this sounds silly, but are cars like computers now?

1 Like

I wouldn’t touch duracell with a barge pole @Artangel
The button cells might be okay, but all the other Duracell batteries leak and damage your terminals…

1 Like

The definitely are like that PixieKnuckles, laptops on wheels!

Very confusing when, like me not having driven anything but the ‘old-fashioned’ no technology cars before I bought a new one. A degree course was almost required just to find out what everything did and seven years’ later there are still the odd options I haven’t yet explored!

Thank goodness for YouTube!

1 Like

Oh…ok…so is there such a thing as a regular car then? One that you just put the key in and the engine turns on?

1 Like

No, not new ones like that as far as I know. I do have one like that though, I bought it new 37 years ago. The most ‘modern’ accessories it has are electric windows, a radio / cassette player and a heater. The benefits of it though are that I don’t need a degree in computers to service and repair it when needed!

A ‘maybe one day classic’ is how I describe it!

2 Likes

Some Timpsons and local motorist supply shops can do it.

1 Like

Well, l traipsed the town looking for the cheapest Duracell batteries. The CR 2025 in most places were £8.40 for 4! I could have got Kodak ones in Poundland for a quid.
Convincing myself that the key fob was very important, l decided l should get Duracell and found a Duracell two pack in Boots for £4.30.

At home, l took the fob apart, removed the old batteries and fitted the new ones. I went out to my car, click… nothing happened! There wasn’t even the red light flashing on the fob.

I took the key fob apart to check, l hadn’t fitted them incorrectly. They seemed ok but l took them out and refitted them. Went outside again, click, nothing!
I felt so despondent and decided it was the key, or the batteries that were faulty.
I refitted, the old batteries, went out to the car, clicked and they worked!

Thinking, they might not be reliable, l took them out and refitted the Duracell batteries. Clicked and the red light flashed. Tried them on the car and …Yipppee… they worked.
What l think the problem was… the batteries did seem slightly loose in situ and l think it was to do with the metal contacts not securing them enough.

Anyway, that’s the end of my saga and l thank you all for taking the time and trouble to advise me.
If l could have given you all three hearts… l would’ve done!

1 Like

The two batteries for my key fob (VW Golf) were £2.40, from B&Q I think it was, two or three years on the fob is still working OK. The originals from new (new car) lasted four or five years so still some time to go yet and I do have one of the two original batteries, if any good I could use that one next time.

Good that you’ve got it all sorted now, despite further ‘slight’ problems also now remedied.

1 Like

Baz, At one point when it didn’t work, l was regretting not going to Timpsons or Halfords!
I don’t usually give up though!!

I can well imagine, as I have sometimes found ‘modern’ technology can often be so frustrating.

I am another who doesn’t give up easily, seldom at all. That is so satisfying when anything is either sorted or solved by my efforts!

1 Like