Do You Change The Battery In Your Car Key Fob?

The battery has gone in one of my car key fobs.
Is this something l can do myself? Or, do l need to take it to
a dealership?

1 Like

Googleis your best friend however I took mine to timpsons :+1:

1 Like

Hi Artangel

Check out Youtube.
You might need a jeweller’s screwdrivers though as when I did my friends Nissan the screws were so tiny on the fob and I had to prize out the cover as well,very fidgety.
If you still have the manual for the car it might even show you how to do it and even tell you what type of battery you need.

1 Like

It’s fairly easy to do yourself.

1 Like

And do change it. I once had to recover a car where the key fob battery died whilst in the City. I could open the car for them, but without the fob, I could not disable the immobiliser.

But as said above, it is something you should be able to do yourself.

1 Like

I have never actually had to do it but I would certainly try to do it myself, if I can change my watch battery then it shouldn’t be too difficult surely?

1 Like

Thank You all for your speedy replies of help.

My worry is… as the present battery is very low in power. What if it takes me too long to change it…will the key need reprogramming?

1 Like

The key will not need anything after the new battery is fitted. The battery only feeds the signal that is transmitted to your car’s locking system.

1 Like

Thank You LongDriver, l imagined it held the car’s brain in the key fob to work in conjunction with the onboard computer! :laughing:

Thank You Caveman, l didn’t know Timpsons changed them.

1 Like

Im hearing what everyone is saying but I broke one before a mazda one im ok with things like that but why bother let someone do it for you that knows what there doing

1 Like

I did mine a few weeks ago with the help of Youtube, Art.
If I can do it, anybody can. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Mups, Really! I’m well impressed. Honestly!

Just make sure you get the right battery, and give it a go.
You’ll be ever so pleased with yourself when it works beautifully.
You may need a tiny screwdriver though.

1 Like

Yeah! I just got the bit out that contains the battery but l haven’t got the new battery yet!
At least, l now know where the battery goes and how to get it out!

Wonderful! Thank You all again.

Take some photos of the open fob and ensure you get the polarity correct when you put the new battery back in .
I managed to learn the hard way.

1 Like

The key fob battery ran out on my VW Golf, easy enough to do after checking it out on YouTube. The batteries (only sold in pairs) were ÂŁ2.10, VW main dealer would probably have wanted ÂŁ10 before doing anything. (They charge ÂŁ100 an hour in increments of six minutes so minimum is ÂŁ10.) On there were one or two very useful tips as to what to do in certain circumstances after changing the battery, like you mention about any reprogramming that may be required. Easy enough to do any of this when you know how. Might be worth just checking on YouTube anyway, just in case any further information is needed.
:grinning:

1 Like

the cars manual should show how to change the fob battery and which one you need. It will be one of these button batteries either a CR2032 - CR2025

1 Like

@Artangel Should that happen is it probable that you have two key fobs? Most cars come with two key fobs so if that is the case then you could check with that one if you are not sure of the polarity (because perhaps you’ve already removed the battery).

2 Likes

Yes, realspeed, it’s a CR 2025 that l need.