Do you brabble?

Old English words looking for a comeback…

4 Likes

Just betwixt me and you, my unfriended neighbor hagrides me.

I try not to brabble; it takes too much energy.

3 Likes

Many a mickle makes a muckle has always been in my vocabulary, as has constellate. I am surprised ‘twitten’ was not included as we have many in my area connecting roads for pedestrians only; an excellent idea :+1:

2 Likes

There’s some interesting words I haven’t heard before in that article - and I agree that “brabble” sounds a perfect word to describe modern discourse on social media and media “news and views programmes” - it could all be summed up by brabble and babble :rofl:

There’s a few words in that article which haven’t totally gone out of use in the area I live and have always been in my vocabulary. I heard them used quite often by my family as I grew up.

I often use betwixt instead of between - and if I can’t decide if something is one or the other, it’s betwixt and between.
Bring a thrifty Yorkshire Lass, one of my mottos is
“many a mickle makes a muckle”
My Ma used to call me a slugabed when I was a teenager and I used it when my kids went through that teenage phase of staying in bed until lunchtime!

And I’ve often heard folk say someone was looking hagridden if they are going through a tough time and looking a bit rough. The word has sometimes sprung to my mind when I’ve looked in the mirror! :scream:

1 Like

I love old words. I’m trying to get a novel published what I wrote that’s set in the Victorian era, so old words or old spellings of words came in handy.

For example,

Axtree, meaning an axle, mead, meaning a marsh, and tracklement which is a type of savoury condiment to name but a few.

1 Like

Well I’ll be swived!!

2 Likes

:astonished::flushed: well, I suppose that could be arranged :grin::+1::wink:

3 Likes

Do you mind…and on a Sunday too! :018:

2 Likes

Sundays have no meaning for me :wink::grin::+1:

2 Likes

English language is brilliant, rich with variations.

Here an old English word I like * Snollygoster* meaning a person without principles or morals … example,
Boris Johnson is a right Snollygoster .

Perfect

6 Likes

Yes .I had gathered :wink:

2 Likes

I don`t brabble,but i do babble and have the odd dabble.

1 Like