Do Women Still Wear Brooches?

They are a bit old fashioned now… aren’t they?
Do you wear a brooch? If so, what is it and does it have a sentimental meaning to you, or you just like it?

2 Likes

when i read the title i thought i was something sexual like suspenders, how disappointing

3 Likes

Macy, Trust you!!
You could pretend you read ‘suspenders’ but you might get sectioned! :laughing:

It’s funny @Artangel (well not that funny really) but I have recently started buying and wearing brooches. I have got that mainly from ebay, some in Rennie Macintosh style, and a couple of plique-a-jour ones. Does that mean I have turned into an old lady.

1 Like

I have an owl brooch, but never wear it…I don’t have anything it looks nice on. I always thought a brooch needed to be on a scarf, and I don’t have those kind of scarves…also I don’t wear anything with a lapel.

1 Like

I wear mine on my jacket. Only one, but change it every couple of weeks.

2 Likes

I think that’s lovely @Maver-rik

I need to find way of making mine into a pendant for a necklace I think…:thinking:

1 Like

Maver-rik , No of course you’re not turning into an old lady!
It’s just it seems you don’t see many brooches being worn these days.

I once wore a small brooch to hide a moth hole in a very expensive jumper l had. The trouble was it was very near to the end of my protruding chest!
Not a great look, as it had the opposite affect to the reason why it had been placed there in the first place!! :laughing:

I don’t wear them now, but I collect horse brooches.

6 Likes

No, I don’t really wear the sort of clothes you’d wear them on any more. But I do have some with sentimental value

2 Likes

I have a beautiful silver leaf shaped brooch which I wear on my black dress.

1 Like

A male friend thoughtfully gave me a brooch for my 50th birthday. I have never worn it. It was expensive, an elaborate celtic silver piece. The same male friend gave a BFF a beautiful celtic silver bracelet. I am still envious. She wears it all the time. Perhaps I will gracefully age into the brooch but I doubt it… the funny thing is that said male friend asked the advice of latter bracelet-laden BFF. As in would I like said brooch. hmmph! He should have realised she was being polite.

I bought a brooch once many years ago when going to a ball. It was to hold my fancy scarf together over my strapless ballgown. Has not been used since.

1 Like

I have a lovely brooch given to me when I was 18 by my boss when I left his company. He was a classy fellow, a one time chairman of the Rotary Club in London, and was very well connected. But it was the 60s and I was 18 - the last thing I was likely to wear was a fusty, matronly looking gold brooch! But I have kept it all these years, can’t part with it now :blush:

I have several that were my mother-in-law’s. She always wore a brooch on her coats and jackets. I just don’t wear those sorts of clothes; mine are far too casual and a brooch would look totally out of place. The only coat I could wear one on is a black three-quarter length one which I bought some years ago for an occasion, and have hardly worn it since. But, you know, a black coat at our age is something that tends to come in handy occasionally, unfortunately, so there it hangs, waiting… I might go and pin a brooch on it :wink:

1 Like

, not heard them called a protruding chest before, how quaint

1 Like

Never had a brooch until an older friend of mine gave me a large silver one, with a lovely bird in the middle of a circle. It must have been a favorite of hers.
She’s long since passed, but I still have in my jewelry collection, but have never actually worn it.
I am not a brooch sort of person.

1 Like

The only brooch I ever had was a horsey one many years ago, when I was a member of the British Horse Society. Can’t recall ever wearing one since. Not my sort of thing really, not much of a jewellery sort of person.
All I always wear is a small gold cross and chain round me neck.

1 Like

Most women wear light warm practical clothing these days made of synthetic material not the sort of thing you would stick a brooch onto .

1 Like

I haven’t thought of brooches for a long time and was pleasantly reminded of them from the OP.

I wore brooches all the time many years ago. I used to pin them on my suit lapel to add some color. I had a couple that were covered in silk that were dyed some beautiful colors. I wonder if I still have them. :thinking:

1 Like

I have some lovely brooches, which I used to wear a lot when I wore traditional style suits and smart coats for work.
As fashions and materials changed, my brooch-wearing habits changed too. I haven’t worn a brooch for years.
I should have a clear out of my jewellery drawers, really - I’ve tried to do it a few times but most of what I have left were gifts or have sentimental value, so it’s hard to let go, even though I don’t wear them anymore.

My favourite brooch is fashioned like a simple ribbon bow, made from gold, with a small pearl in the centre. It was made in the early 1900s for my grandmother by her fiancé’s father, who was a jeweller. Sadly, Granny never got to marry that fiancé because he was killed in WW1.
My Granny died before I was born and my Aunt inherited her jewellery, so my memories are of my Aunt wearing this brooch when I was a child. I had always admired it, so was delighted when my Aunt gave it to me for my 21st Birthday.
As I don’t have a daughter to pass it on to, it will go to my granddaughter or one of my nieces one day, if any of them want it.

1 Like

My Mum died last year and she was a great brooch wearer. Nearly every coat and heavy cardigan which I passed to charity shops had a brooch attached which I removed and have a big box of them now.

2 Likes