Do we have any good cooks on here?

I know Meg is one…anymore?

Nothing wrong in saying you’re a good cook imo…

Anyone with a passion for cooking from scratch?:-D…

I have a feeling this is going to be interesting…:wink:

1 Like

Yes. I think of myself as a good cook. As a matter of fact, I have been cooking since I was old enough to push a chair up to the stove and stand on it while frying eggs. Truly, it is my life-long passion. I was 16 years old when I got my 1st cooking job flipping hamburgers and then by age 18 working under the direction of a real French chef in the French Quarter of New Orleans.
57 years later, I now have hundreds and hundred of my personal recipes. Everything from Chinese Sweet and Sour Pork, to Hungarian beef Goulash to Mexican Smothered burritos to a simple American Chicken Fried Steak.

Just ordered some dark rye flour from Amazon.com so I can make a real Jewish Rye bread, with caraway seeds. Oh, be still my beating heart. yum

I love to cook - and my friends say I am good at. Not poisoned anyone - yet!
Did two years of night school at a Chef School in Leeds.

My dear wife is a brilliant cook. Tonight was salmon with herbs, salad leaves and other is beyond me. Then a hone made cake.

Lunch earlier was pulled pork done on the slow cooker.

I’m just the consumer…:slight_smile:

I have been cooking since the age of 15…I am a self taught cook…
I forgot to add ,like Art, I was taught domestic science at secondary school, which I must say,I excelled at.
My son has been to many restaurants as a business man, he told me none of them came close to my food, only a couple, I think the meal cost £300 for two.those that were better than mine.

There are plenty of chefs/ cooks out there…but as my son said to me, the proof is in the eating…

I think because the word “ chef” is mentioned ,some automatically think their in for a great meal…unfortunately that is not always the case. of course sometimes it is…also reviewing a restaurant is a good way to find a good one…we have an Indian restaurant here…people come miles for their food…I believe it’s in the good food guide…not sure though…

What a wonderful life experience! It’s time to put together a recipe book bakerman. I’ll be your first customer!

I would say, if we are not good cooks after the length of time we have cooked for our families… then there’s something radically wrong. After all, at our ages we’ve had enough practice over the years!

I love cooking but l thank Domestic Science classes at school for that. We were taught to cook using a method/plan and l have more or less always adhered to that.

I just love cooking and most people love what l cook but that makes up for how rubbish l am at housework!

I must say I don’t have a signature dish…I always follow baking recipes, but meals like chilli con carne ,sweet and sour battered chicken balls, battered fish,I go my own way,I always use beer in my batter, that took some practice as well, getting the batter to the right consistency, same as making bread ,pizza dough…I love making pies as well, especially with water crust pastry, chocolate eclairs ,they are easy to make ,some cooks feel intimidated by recipes, I heard that from a you tuber, she buys the box’s that come with all the ingredients ,that guide you, step by step, they must cost a fortune I’m sure.

I suggest you check that the oven is turned on, pauline, it should have been done ages ago.

I enjoy cooking I dont use jars or tins to make sauces I make them myself adding a blob of this and a splash of that . I love cooking for my friends and when I can a roast Sunday dinner with home made Yorkshire puds for my family . I love the smell of the oven and the fresh foods . I used to make my own bread when I had a family I’m self taught .

For 3 years of my life I cooked professionally when I ran a food pub I never served up a meal that I wouldnt eat myself .

I’m a feeder and love it

I couldn’t say if I was a good cook or not. My husband likes my food as does my family. No-one has complained about anything yet and I haven’t made anyone ill yet (they are too polite to say I suppose! :lol). That’s all that matters to me.

I used to love helping my Mum in the kitchen from about 7 years. I did cooking at school and received an ‘A’ in my GCE Domestic Science exam.

I taught my daughter and granddaughter how to cook from the age of 6 and my granddaughter surprised her Mum one day when I was looking after her, by taking home a big tin of cakes that she had made all by herself - obviously she wasn’t allowed to use the oven at that age.

Do you know I actually started cooking at age 11, I forgot about being taught domestic science at school…until Art mentioned it…

I tell you another thing, if I went by their oven temps, with some of these recipes,my baking would be burnt…that’s another thing you learn by trial and error…:smiley:

I must have known I was a good cook, otherwise I wouldn’t have applied for a cooks post ,at a very expensive residential home,…nothing wrong in being confident at what you’re good at Susan, if I hadn’t sold myself, no one else would have, …I got the job…:smiley:

Cooks are quite competitive don’t you think?
I know I was.:lol:

I prefer baking to cooking - but I can rustle up a good meal from scratch. Nobody died, so that’s a good thing :smiley: I don’t follow recipes and don’t use the microwave…everyone cleared their plates. Job done. Mr P is a better cook, he gets quite elaborate.

I love cooking but l thank Domestic Science classes at school for that. We were taught to cook using a method/plan and l have more or less always adhered to that.

I remember that too, Art. The lesson plan always started “Wash hands, put on apron and cap.”

I think ‘taste’ is everything. Some people can cook a nice looking meal but it has no taste.

The biggest compliment you can get is, when someone asks, for a spoon for the the remaining gravy, or asks oif it’s ok to lick their plate!!

I get seconds. That tells the story…:slight_smile:

I also like to cook with fresh pasta, when you have used that, you will never go back to that horrible dry stuff…you can certainly taste the difference…especially tagliatelle,and macaroni.

We love Edamame Bean Pasta, and Green Lentil twirly Pasta. Its dried, not fresh, but oh boy its delicious!

I make my own pasta - it is so easy to do - and I love Italian food.