Do Mobile Phones Own Your Family?

I just bought a used Mobile Phone, to replace the one which is so far out of date that I have to remember banking details & log in via passwords, and such.

That led me into thinking about how EXPENSIVE (not shouting!) these insignificant little devices are, and how much money must be being raked in by the sellers (and leasers).

Prices, on line, are anything up to £1000 !
Leases cost more than that, overall!

Think of a family, say Wife, Husband, and 2 kids, and they all have one each!

(and they all sit there staring at the phone during any visit)

How much more we’d have to spend, if we cut back on all this stuff?

When I’m in charge of the world, I’ll bring in lots of restrictions!

What do you think?

How much could you save if there was only one phone, which anyone going out would take with them?

WoW!

1 Like

Not allowed in my house - mobiles are switched off and put away or confiscated!

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to find a new phone to buy. The one I was using cost me $5. The phone network cut me off saying that my phone is 3G and I need at least a 4G to connect to the network. Until I find a reasonably priced phone, I’m stuck with WiFi.

1 Like

Both John and I have phones but they are our own phones, the initial cost was expensive but the contracts are very low, mine is only £9 per month and Johns £13.
Mine used to be £23 a month so I rang them and told them I was going with Tesco as it was only £8 per month at the time and because I had been a 3 network customer for so long they offered me a deal for £9 a month with unlimited texts, minutes and loads of data so I opted to stay with them. Glad I said i was leaving now as they want to keep their customers so always worth trying to do a deal.

My nieces families kids all have mobile phones, top of the range ones too! I don’t agree with them about the cost of the kids phones but they do what they want and don’t listen to Auntie Bev. Then they moan if they’;ve no money, stop paying ridiculous costs for phones for kids then!!! sighing with frustration

1 Like

I am only bothered about phones when I’m trying to have a conversation with someone who keeps staring at the phone, I get a grunt every now then. I stopped going out to my friends and out to lunch with them because of it. Now we lunch again, but all phones are put in the middle of the table and if someone reaches for her phone then she pays for everyone’s lunch. My granddaughter is dreadful for phone staring, it drives me nuts.

3 Likes

I don’t use my mobile phone much when I am at home but it really is a boon when I am travelling.
I remember how difficult and tedious travelling was before the SmartPhone came along and I think for my lifestyle it is worth every penny of the initial outlay to buy one.

I can do so much on my iPhone to make my sailing and walking trips at home and abroad and all other foreign travel and holidays easier - from downloading weather forecasts, finding essential spare parts or local tradesmen when something breaks down and I need help to find spare parts, finding good places to eat, which ports will supply water, electricity, booking a mooring berth before I arrive, booking ferry, flight, train, bus tickets - using GPS to find my way around, keeping in touch with family and friends while I’m away - and just chilling on OFF during Siesta time - all made possible by my mobile phone!
Here’s for the Smart Phones!
Yamas! :champagne::clinking_glasses:

1 Like

I agree Boot, when used like that they are excellent. My own phone is also used like that. But if someone talks to me then I put it in my pocket.

1 Like

Hi
I have a smart phone, but not a big name
I have a doogee, very common abroad.

My wife has a very nice mobile. My son gave it to her when he get a new one. Mine is a very basic and cheap. I rarely use it but I keep it on my cargo pants for emergencies. I called it once about couple of months when I was out for a stroll. I thought I might check if it was still working. I called my wife - she was almost panic stricken. OMG - what’s wrong?? I didn’t try it again… ::frowning:

1 Like

I hate smartphones with a passion and will never consider buying one.

1 Like

We’ve both got a notverysmart phone.The only calls I get are from Amazon informing me I owe them money.Which is a bit odd since I’ve never bought anything from them

1 Like

When the blind man came to the house to measure the windows, I said rather smugly “Oh I have the measurements, I have a measuring app on my phone”

He pulled out his cloth measuring tape, gave me a look of disdain and said “I’ll do it properly, misses”

True enough I was off by 3/4 inch. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

I never used mine much before I went into hospital recently then it became my life line to home as they didn’t allow anyone to visit me due to covid. No one was even allowed in to help me out to the car when I left so I think I’d still be wandering around the carpark without my phone to tell my husband I was out. Its been great when I couldnt get out of bed too I could call my husband to help me. Thankfully I can do that myself again now.

2 Likes

Smartphones are fantastic if used properly and obviously with respect when visiting

1 Like

Didn’t they used to wheel you a landline phone up to your bed in the old days if you wanted to phone home…?
Mind you, I never had a car in those days so had to go home on the bus…
:pleading_face:

1 Like

Hi

No TV’s in hospital so a smartphone is a must.l

1 Like

I like having a phone - I would rather have it than not…it has music and a good camera, and a good communication system on it, so yes I suppose I’d miss it if I didn’t have it. :joy:

They trialled this idea in our local hospital swim, where there was a TV over every bed and you had to obtain a card from a machine in order to watch TV and make phone calls on the attached telephone. It was very expensive and must have cost millions to install. The last time I was admitted to hospital they had all been removed, apparently people preferred to use their own smartphone instead. Despite the old chestnut that your mobile would interfere with the electronics of the hospital. They either managed to sort out the problems of interference, or it was just a load of baloney in the first place.

I also like having a mobile phone Pixie, but I don’t listen to music while out, and I certainly don’t want to peruse the internet or forum while on the hoof, (I much prefer to communicate with members of the forum on my laptop from the comfort of an armchair) and I have a good camera that takes better pictures than any phone. I only really need one to tell Mrs Fox where to send the ambulance in case of collapse, or to tell her to put the dinner on cos I’m on my way home…

2 Likes

@Rox , Great idea , bet you enjoy your lunches better too eh? :+1::+1: