Do I keep or get rid?

My car is three years old in January, all being well we should be picking it up on Saturday, it’s been at the dealers for three weeks, it originally went in as it was making a noise from the engine but only when warm, it sounded to me like a pulley, and, indeed, the garage agreed and replaced the crankshaft pulley, the noise was still present however and, after more investigation and speaking to the technical department they decided that the noise was under the rocker cover, to sum up they’ve decided to replace the whole engine with a factory fresh one.now, as the warranty will finish in January, and so the new engine is warranted up to that point, I’m debating whether to get rid,
On the one hand, I will have a brand new , zero mileage engine, fitted to a highly specced car, but on the other hand, I will have no warranty should it happen again, so I’m not sure what’s best to do….any thoughts?.

Bit of a tough decision there.

Most new parts here have an additional warranty so getting a new engine with no warranty confuses me.

Maybe the new engine will work well. Will you get more money by selling it now instead of later if something goes wrong?

I wouldn’t have any trust in a make whose cars may need a new engine after three years assuming normal use and regular service. If you know what car to buy instead, it may be an opportunity for a change. I bought a four-year-old car with 100,000 km on the clock because I didn’t expect any problems with the engine. It has run another 12,000km since.

1 Like

What type of engine, 3 cylinder jobbie ? I guess like most things there is always a wrong un somewhere, unlikely to happen again, if you are happy overall with the car keep it.

Yes it’s a ford puma, 3cyl, car has ran fine with no engine issues at all, it has had a few build quality issues though, a new dash was fitted last January because of a rattle, ( the ford puma forum suggested it was a loose airbag bracket, but Ford denied this saying instead it was the instrument cluster) a rear door module failed which wouldn’t allow the door to be opened using keyless entry, but worked fine using the fob, don’t get me wrong, I love the car both in how it drives and how it looks, but I’ve never owned a car that needed a new engine before.

The garage said the noise was caused by some kind of sensor/solenoid that controls the tappets, I’m not sure if some of these cars have cylinder de-activation to help with fuel economy when cruising, anyway, the garage said that these parts weren’t available not even showing on back order, so that, and the cost against a new engine, made it easier to go with the new engine, I asked if it was a rebuilt or short engine, and was told no, it’s brand new from the factory…

Not sure what to suggest, because of a manufactures discount we had many new cars, changing them a at nine month old intervals, over the latter years of this process and with fuel and environment in mind, the manufacturer started to restrict choice to tiny high revving engines that were always working hard, my thought then and now was, I wouldn’t want one of those with 50k on the clock, the extra ware and all the environmental gizmos added, they would be nightmare to keep running right.

A lot of these three pots have turbos, which increase power and less strain on the engine, mine is a mild hybrid which uses a small battery to assist the engine and recharges under braking also assisting with stop start .

Personally i’d say you were just unlucky with the engine, lots of 3 cylinder cars out there, mine is one of them , but now you’ve listed other issues maybe with them sorted its gonna be alright now.

Mine is a Vauxhall 3 cyl, shares the same platform as Peugeot and Citroen , 2500 revs 70 mph and 50 mpg on the motorway, doesn’t sound to be working hard when driving.

Personally, I’d be apprehensive if I had to change the engine after just 3 years and considering the cosmetic issues that you experienced.

Consider resale value now versus in a few years time. Also, factor in the cost of extended warranty insurance if you are concerned about the mechanical warranty.

Ultimately, it comes down to your budget and what you are able to comfortably afford based on the sale value of your Ford. Best of luck Primus!

Problem with aftermarket warranties is they are often not worth the paper they are written on, often citing wear and tear when you try to claim

Then the lack of a decent aftermarket mechanical warranty should sway your decision towards selling and buying another vehicle with a full or part warranty period remaining.

On a personal note, I’ll be testing my after market mechanical warranty insurance soon when I claim for my son’s VW Polo. Watch this space…

I am speaking from experience …Lead time on a new car a year + .
I suppose it depends on the model and country however I’ve been waiting since January 2022 for a Toyota RAV4 dynamic.
Still no news on when or now indeed model or colour as the dynamic is being discontinued , it’s becoming ridiculous.

Just make sure Shanks’s Pony is well tucked up in the stable

1 Like

Buy an older second hand vehicle with less spec Primus, preferably a diesel. Too much technology and fancy stuff on the latest vehicles, more to go wrong and very expensive to fix.
3 cyl’s seems all wrong to me, they should come in even numbers and plenty of em’…

Good advice :wink:

why piddle about with a 3 pot engine, crazy false economy. Get a decent 4 pot diesel engine and 100,000 miles. is nothing. My wifes Honda Civic estate 1.6 cc diesel I just asked and she gets between 60-70mpg and no road tax

https://usedcars.honda.co.uk/en/honda/civic
examle

A couple of things come to mind - Do you trust the garage which diagnosed the problem? Perhaps getting a second opinion would help?
Alternatively, post on here and see if it’s something which often happens…or get another opinion : https://www.pumaforums.co.uk/