Direct affect of climate policies for over 50's

What affect are the climate change policies going to have on you? Personally I have budgeted for ONE change of car. At the moment I have a 2008 diesel which is still going (fairly)
strong. New diesel cars will be banned from 2030. But can anyone guess how long it will be before diesel fuel is no longer available? It’s unlikely my car will last until 2030 but when I replace it, should I consider another diesel? This one has been great 40-50 mph; £30 road tax; pretty low insurance. Should I think another vehicle like this - what are my parameters? Also - at some stage I need to think about downsizing sometime. Do
Do I need to consider the ban on gas boilers? Specifically look only at all electric heated houses/flats? I’m certainly not going to consider a heat pump as the prices mentioned are outrageous. Sorry about any spelling mistakes. Like many I’m finding a very difficult forum to cope with and would welcome any suggestions from others!!

1 Like

My wife’s small Suzuki city type car is petrol and its emissions are so low, its road tax banding is £0. Other than that, I cant envisage much changing in our house.

EDIT … our gas boiler has been recently changed for a high efficiency condensing type and we were told its projected life if well maintained should be upwards of 20yrs, so that will no be changed for a heat pump. I’m 78 + my wife is 73, so add 20ys to that and if either of us are still alive, we wont be in a position to care one way or another.

For the same reasons you mentioned I’m about to buy a new car and will trade my current one in. Since there aren’t enough public charging columns and having a wall box for a plug-in hybrid or e-car installed is a bit of a hassle, I’ve decided on a hybrid car running on petrol. Fuel consumption will be half of that of my current car. I assume it will take me through the years to come before I decide what to do then provided I’m still allowed to drive.

1 Like

The Heat Pumps are a real problem when temperatures dips. We have known about these issues since moving here over 6 years ago.
When you have them underground that is an improvement…So new house new installation underground, should then work fairly well.
here is a useful insight…
How low ambient temperature can affect your Heat pump performance? | Aspiration Energy!
Any knowledgeable person of these systems will say the same…You can’t possible get enough heat out of them when it is actually very cold…
Diesel ban…I can’t possibly see how all the lorries and transportation of goods and people will be changed to alternatives by 2030…image the costs of all this…
We have mainly owned Diesel vehicles and happy with them…
Point is where we live traffic is very very low…so Diesel is the preferred fuel for our situation. Petrol causes much more harm to us all, except…Diesel in constant traffic jams is more harmful and dangerous of course.

1 Like

I fully agree with where air/heat pumps are concerned and then there is the almost constant noise from the high speed fans from such units. I have an acquaintance who has recently been served with a noise notice prohibiting it’s use due to the noise it generates.
I also agree about diesel a) because of the far better MPG for weight/power ration compared with petrol and b) my Pathfinder ATV has particulate filters + the blue AdBlue additive that reduces the pollution even further; both are very effective. To produce the same power my diesel generates would need a gas engine of a much larger size and therefore more polluting.

The above ground pumps are very noisy and the advice is not to install near your neighbours or your bedroom window!

The example of a Guy on the TV recently…His installation was around 6 years ago…he trotted up the garden into a arch looking snug and the pump was well secluded in that area.
…He said how pleased it had worked out…
Well the average UK Garden is not big enough to place it out of the way…
No.1 failed…and No.2 make sure you have a back up heating system for the cold periods…forget No. 3 save my breath… because it is not going to be the answer for most peoples accommodation…Let alone for their pockets…

There was an installer of heat pumps who was asked to relocate a customers pump as it was too noisy, it was installed further down the garden but was then found to be less efficient as nearby trees and shrubs affected its efficiency

I don’t know anything about heat pumps. But if someone comes up with an alternative to the gas combi, and if that’s the only option, I will go for it.

We have a little merc coupe, low mileage, 15 years old, I’ve been saying for years: it doesn’t make sense, we don’t need a car, never use it, we even pay to park outside our house.

We’re open to options: a little electric job or no car at all.

1 Like