Different ways to eat Potatoes

Potato Ice Cream
Leave peel on and cut 3 small Idaho Potatoes in 1/2" cubes. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread onto baking sheet and roast in oven at 375 F until cooked throughout, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
In a sauce pan, bring 2 cups whole milk, 3/4 cup heavy cream, 3/4 cup sugar and 2 tbsp light corn syrup to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in 120ml cream cheese and pinch salt, then 1/2 cup sour cream. Chill.
In a blender, mix ice cream base with potatoes until completely smooth. Strain through a fine mesh strainer.
Freeze in ice cream maker. Put in freezer 6 hours or overnight. Makes almost a litre.

1 Like

I would recommend potato latkes - like pancakes but with onions and grated potatoes, I add some garlic and paprika, very nice with a creamy mushroom sauce :

sauteed potatoes are a really perfect side or on their own - less fussy than chips. I have a potato peeling machine and use baby salad potatoes and then steam them rather than boiling. You can make a load and keep in the fridge to slice and fry just enough for the evening meal.

3 Likes

Sorry Bretrick but the thought of a litre of potato ice cream is giving me the screaming abdabs… I’m sticking with vanilla :drooling_face::+1:

2 Likes

Did you try it? Was it good?

I got the recipe from a cook book and adjusted to my liking.

I did make it. How would I describe it?
Very creamy and light.
I did whisk it for longer in the blender, plus I did peel the potatoes.
I also boiled the potatoes without the oil, salt and pepper.
I used honey instead of corn syrup.
There was no taste, or after taste of potato.
Tasted okay, not sure I would go to the trouble of a second batch.

1 Like

Did it taste anything like ice cream? It seems like it might be a bit grainy from the potato.

I tasted like creamy ice cream. Blended for at least 5 minutes.
No over arching flavour, a little bland though quite sweet.

1 Like

We roasted them in the tattie fields.

3 Likes

I like trying new recipes but I can’t say I fancy that much, Bretrick

The sugar and corn syrup would make it quite sweet and smooth on their own, the cream and cheese make it rich

But potatoes aren’t strong flavoured, especially mushed, so what do they add? Thickness, texture?

Maybe it’s like adding potato flour as a thickener/bulking agent?

I have heard of a type of fudge made with mashed potato, icing sugar and peanut butter that’s supposed to be nice