Did you know Birds don't sweat?

Birds’ body temperatures vary between 100° and 110°F and average about 104°F.
Birds don’t have sweat glands. Instead, they’ve evolved a variety of other ways to keep cool.

One of them is panting. As the bird breathes rapidly, its throat quivering, heat’s carried out of its body via the lungs and air sacs.
The lungs are a one-way system, so cool air coming in doesn’t get mixed up with warm air coming out.
Holding its bill open, the bird also oscillates a tiny bone in a part of its throat where there are a lot of blood vessels. The oscillations bring more blood to the area, allowing heat from the blood to dissipate.
Bare skin on the legs, face, and beak also help the cooling. So do puffing out feathers, fluttering wings, or splashing in a puddle or birdbath.
Soaring birds like hawks can simply ride the updrafts far above ground, to where the air is cooler.
Closer to the ground, birds can also do what we do to avoid overheating, take it easy in the shade as the day heats up.

2 Likes

My first summer here I thought one of the ravens was dead.He was propped up against the window with his beak wide open.He must have been there for 10 minutes before he walked away.

1 Like

Glass expels heat quicker than most materials so it will be cooler than the surroundings, leaning on it would offer a little relief to the raven.

1 Like

I’ve seen a bunch of videos of people giving birds water or pouring water over them. I didn’t realize birds didn’t sweat. I just thought the birds got hot just like humans would out in the sun.

1 Like

They get hot. They have no sweat glands. They have other ways of cooling down, as mentioned above.
Their core temperature is over 100 degrees, that means they have more tolerance for the heat.

1 Like

Where on earth do you get these archaic figures from? there are only two countries in the world still using them.

1 Like

If you were to research “bird temperature”, most references will give the temperature in fahrenheit. Most references.

Also Birds don’t pee

1 Like

excuse me ive known bird who sweat and pee…then pee off…sob…lol

2 Likes

I didn’t know about birds peeing and sweating! Hmmm
I do know dogs only sweat through their paws & pant to cool down .

1 Like

I don’t know about birds sweating, but seeing some of them on a dance floor “giving it some” must have some effect on the skin. :rofl:

1 Like