Did world leaders write their own speeches?

There are certain speeches over the years that I remember, not all of them heard by me, but learnt by me.
I heard Ronald Reagan’s “Tear down this wall” speech; 1987
Mr Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall

Winston Churchill’s speech; 1946
From Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic, an iron curtain has descended across the Continent. Behind that line lie all the capitals of the ancient states of Central and Eastern Europe.
Warsaw, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Belgrade, Bucharest and
Sofia, all these famous cities and the populations around them lie in what I must call the
Soviet sphere, and all are subject in one form or another, not only to Soviet influence but
to a very high and, in many cases, increasing measure of control from Moscow.

Martin Luther King’s “I have a Dream” speech in 1963;
I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our nation.

Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Emancipation Proclamation. This momentous decree came as a great beacon of hope to millions of slaves, who had been seared in the flames of whithering injustice.
It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of their captivity. But one hundred years later, the colored America is still not free.
One hundred years later, the life of the colored American is still sadly crippled by the manacle of segregation and the chains of discrimination.

Mahatma Ghandi’s "Quit India speech 1942
I believe that in the history of the world, there has not been a more genuinely democratic struggle for freedom than ours.
I read Carlyle’s French Resolution while I was in prison, and Pandit Jawaharlal has told me something about the Russian revolution. But it is my conviction that inasmuch as these struggles were fought with the weapon of violence they failed to realize the democratic ideal. In the democracy which I have envisaged, a democracy established by non-violence, there will be equal freedom for all.
Everybody will be his own master. It is to join a struggle for such democracy that I invite you today.
Once you realize this you will forget the differences between the Hindus and Muslims, and think of yourselves as Indians only, engaged in the common struggle for independence.

My question is, Did these people write their own speeches or were there speech writers?
I believe i the last couple of decades that speech writers abound. The speech givers are reading from a script.
Would that assessment be correct?

1 Like

I can’t imagine anyone else writing Churchill’s speeches.He was a journalist and writer before his political career .

1 Like

I would imagine he would have written his speeches. Same with Ghandi, maybe even Martin Luther King.
Ronald Reagan?
There are so many “great” inspirational speeches over the years.
Speech writers are given little recognition, if in fact many speeches are written by someone other than the deliverer.

1 Like

Reagan was an actor and used to reading scripts. :grinning:

The “I have a dream” speech is interesting.
King wrote his speech but it didn’t go to plan because when he was saying it, a friend of his,Mahalia Jackson,the gospel singer,was getting impatient and shouted out “Tell them about your dream,Martin!”

2 Likes

Abraham Lincoln wrote the Gettysburg address on the back of an envelope in which he let someone else read (don’t recall name) and only made three or four word changes.

But I think the majority of the speeches are written by others.

2 Likes

there is a always someone somewhere who can do this as a Pro, unlike MP’s who are often just mouth pieces with no real understanding of the average person’s life real LIVES

1 Like

All mouth and no trousers.

1 Like

JFK was good at speeches.He did acknowledge his main speech writer but he did do a lot himself,I think.

1 Like

Who could have written this?

…or who could write for Paul Keating?

“More to be pitied than despised”