Did the earth move for you in Yorkshire?

We have members in Yorkshire and after reading this news item I wondered if anyone was aware of this?

"Residents in North Yorkshire have reported homes shaking, windows rattling and feeling the ground tremble, following what has been described by experts as a “sonic event”."

"Initially, people reported a suspected earthquake in the area at around 3.50pm, according to the British Geological Survey (BGS).

Some social media users said they felt a quake in the town of Malton."

Maybe an old mine shaft/seam moving or something along those lines :man_shrugging:

@Baz46 , Probably a sonic boom , possibly caused by the re-entry of
space debris into earths atmoshere Baz ??
Or maybe the flight of a stealth bomber over Yorkshire ?
Donkeyman! :+1::grin::+1:

1 Like

I didn’t notice anything yesterday in my part of N Yorks - I remember a scary sonic boom one night about 5 years ago, though.
RAF jets frequently practise stuff in the area I live and I get used to them setting my chandeliers jingling and making the floor vibrate beneath my feet but the sonic boom was in another league - everyone for miles around was wondering what was happening.
It turned out to be a couple of Typhoon jets which had broken the sound barrier in an emergency call out. The Quick Reaction Alert team had scrambled from an RAF station in Lincolnshire to fly up to the North East to intercept a suspicious plane when the pilots weren’t responding to any communications.
It turned out to be a passenger plane which had communication signal problems, I think.

Could be I guess but it seemed rather widespread to have been something like that. Not that I know of course, although I would have thought something like that would have been confined to a more local area.
:man_shrugging:

I used to get quite a few of them where I live … North Staffordshire coal field territory.
More so back in the 90’s and naughties.

One time was quite odd and cute.
After the windows rattled and the vibrating rumble had died down I looked out of the lounge window and saw two foxes jogging side by side together along the grass verge. I always wondered if it had spooked them though they didn’t look spooked… just two foxes together on a mission.

2 Likes

More than likely a sonic boom than the theory of space debris I would have thought. From what I have read there is plenty of space debris out there so that would have been happening more often.

Not sure about Stealth Bombers, although it could well have been a flight of fighter plane(s) en route somewhere in a hurry. No doubt more will be known eventually.

1 Like

Something military gets my vote too. I’m right on the south coast and within earshot of Pompey, and as such we often hear RN firing practice out at sea.

I get those jets regularly practising over the area where I live, they can hardly be seen they are so high and so fast. They can definitely be heard though.

Some while back there were two fighter aircraft given permission to fly at supersonic speed from a military airfield further north, there are plenty them, to get to London in response to an unidentified aircraft in the London area. I heard that as it shook the house. Later I telephoned the CAA, I think it was, to find out and that was what it was. They even insisted on putting it in writing in the post to me as I had made an enquiry, their policy apparently.

Me too LD. I found it strange that there was not more information available along these lines. As already posted I found it easy enough to find out what it was, a quick search on Google for the correct organisation and telephone number and I even had confirmation in writing too.

1 Like

It was a sonic boom caused by a Swiss F35 fighter on training manoeuvres

If it was a Stealth Bomber they should ask for their money back.

2 Likes

Thanks Primus1, that’s one mystery solved then!

I haven’t checked any more to find out what it was. More details of this can be found on the link below:

The shape of those Stealth Bombers is easily recognisable, there’s nothing else like it but even that shouldn’t be seen! As you write a refund should be due if it was one.
:thinking: :grinning:

1 Like

it was Juddley opening his wallet

2 Likes