Diabetes and driving

I have type 2 diabetes controlled by tablets and diet. At my annual check with the nurse, she asked a stupid question. She asked had I informed the DVLA and my insurance company that I had diabetes. I said ‘No - because I do not need to’. When I checked the regulations, you only need to do this if your diabetes is controlled by insulin injections. She said ‘I need to do so’.
I will think about it … and think about it again and again !!!

That is true David, if you are Insulin dependant you have to tell the DVLA and your Insurance will be more expensive as well, also if you go abroad you have to pay a higher rate of Insurance then every one else.

Coming from a Diabetic Type I.

I was diagnosed with borderline type II diabetes about 18 months ago. When I first saw the diabetic nurse she told me I must tell the DVLA or risk losing my licence. I decided to wait as my licence was due to be renewed soon anyway. When I got my letter/form to renew it quite clearly says that diabetes, whether on medication or not does NOT have to be reported. Also those on insulin controlling injections do NOT need to declare it either- apparently a person only needs to declare if they have hypos. and need help from another person. Next time I see her I will let her know - she quite worried me.

This is very helpful information.

Diabetes charity advises similarly

I will forward her a copy.

David

8 Frederick Road, Cowley Oxon OX4 3HL

01865 717429

07931 863233

I don’t think that is correct - certainly not in England where I live.

My partner uses insulin to control diabetes. Not only did he have to advise DVLA when he began to use insulin, he also has to check his blood glucose level before driving and every 2 hours during his journey, to make sure that his blood glucose levels are maintained above a safe level.

Here is the link to the Government information about when Drivers with diabetes must advise DVLA

If a driver uses insulin to control diabetes, they must inform DVLA

If a car / motor bike licence holder uses non-insulin medication or diet to control diabetes, they only need to inform DVLA if they have any of the complications listed in the Government’s advice leaflet.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/795538/inf188x2-information-for-drivers-with-diabetes-treated-by-non-insulin.pdf

And if your driving licence includes a licence to drive a bus, coach or lorry, you must tell DVLA if your diabetes is treated by insulin, tablets or non-insulin injections.

The rule is not as simple as you do or do not. As it also depends upon what type of licence you have. I hold a PSV licence, so like HGV drivers I would HAVE to inform the DVLA if I had type 2 diabetes. But car & motorcycle drivers do not.

You can be fined up to £1,000 if you do not tell DVLA about a medical condition that affects your driving. You may be prosecuted if you’re involved in an accident as a result.

Taken from a government website at.

https://insidedvla.blog.gov.uk/2016/11/14/driving-with-diabetes-the-facts/

• if your diabetes is treated by insulin, you must tell DVLA
  • if your diabetes is treated by tablets and you’re a bus or lorry licence holder (Group 2), you must tell DVLA
  • if your diabetes is treated by tablets and you’re a car or motorcycle licence holder (Group 1), some tablets may cause hypoglycaemia so you need to ask your GP or healthcare professional about your medication

So to summarise, it’s a legal requirement to tell DVLA if you have a medical condition that could affect your driving. Of course, telling us does not necessarily mean you’ll lose your licence. In fact, in the last 2 years, 9 out of 10 car and motorcycle driving licence holders who told us they had diabetes kept their driving licence.

The above quote was written for the government by Dr Wyn Parry in 2016.

1 Like

Strange Boot. It seems like conflicting information, but I think the stuff I have must be the current correct information as it was clearly stated on the renewal form I received for my driving licence which I only received a couple of weeks ago, I have just looked at the form I received again to re-confirm - D46P renewing your licence at 70 refers. Section 4 (21 questions). This must be the up to date form. I can either fill it in on line or send back the completed form.

I note your information is dated 2016 Lynn. My licence is not a PSV or HGV licence

The information on this is not clear. But I have looked at the gov.uk leaflet on diabetes and driving dated June 2021. If your diabetes is controlled by tablets there are 2 scenarios:
a) tablets to control hypos - you can continue to drive but follow the checking guidelines as to your sugar levels.
b) tablets to control your diabetes like metformin and have regular check-ups, there is no need to inform the DVLA or your car insurance company.

Other diabetes medication

Do I need to tell the DVLA? No
What are the rules about severe hypos when I’m not driving? You’re not at risk of severe hypos
Do I need to check my blood sugars? No
How long will my licence last? Until you’re 70 years old

Nothing has changed. So unless your medication is the reason, there is no cause for you to notify the DVLA & if the medication is the reason, then any competent Nurse or Doctor would have, or should have, explained that to you.

Type 2 diabetes does not require the DVLA to be informed. “Some” medication used for type 2 diabetes could require you to inform DVLA. But if your medication does require you to inform DVLA, then your diabetes nurse should make you aware of this fact & explain why this is the case & why you need that medication & not others, which do not need the DVLA informed. Medical treatment should never just be imposed upon you. That way failure lays.

Good medical practice, by good medical practitioners, follow a shared decision making model. So if you have any questions, then ask your surgery to explain to you, why you are not being made fully aware of the treatment choices being made for you & why you are having to look online to inform yourself of what they are doing.

Informed treatment is the most effective & thus the best treatment.

Imagine being told you were expected to drive to a small village 200 miles away. You are not allowed to use GPS. You are not allowed to look at a map. Medical treatment is a little like that. With information, you get to the destination far more efficiently, than without it.

I think we are maybe talking about two different rules, rather than it being conflicting information.
The current laws and regulations relating to Driving when taking insulin state -

Drivers treated with insulin

If you manage your diabetes with insulin therapy you must by law inform the DVLA by completing a DIAB1 form if you have or want to apply for a Group 1 licence.
This is decided on a case-by-case basis and if you are approved, your licence will be issued for one, two or three years. There is no fee for renewal. The criteria for approval include the following:

• You have adequate awareness of hypoglycaemia.
  • You have had no more than one severe hypoglycaemic episode (‘hypo’) while awake in which you needed help from another person within the last 12 months, or a period of at least 3 months since your last episode.
  • You practise appropriate blood glucose monitoring.
  • You have agreed to comply with healthcare professionals’ instructions and report any changes in your conditions to the DVLA.
  • You are under regular review.

When a driver completes the DIAB1 form, it includes answering questions about whether you experience hypos and whether you are aware of them and can manage them on your own.
If the answers to those questions show that your diabetes is not affecting your ability to drive, you will be allowed to keep your licence if you undertake to monitor your blood glucose levels and report any changes that may affect your ability to drive.

If your medical condition changes and you start having severe hypos which require help from another person, then the rules state you must inform the DVLA.

Group 1 drivers

You must by law inform the DVLA if either of these happens:

• Two severe hypoglycaemic episodes (‘hypos’) while awake in which you needed help from another person within the last 12 months
  • No longer having warning signs of a hypo, or being unable to recognise these warning signs
    ——
    Maybe the info on your licence renewal form relates to the rules on when you must report changes to your previously reported condition?

If your diabetic health care team prescribe insulin to you for the first time, to manage Diabetes, they should advise you to inform the DVLA
(unless it’s just a temporary arrangement for less than 3 months)

Thanks for the extra information Boots. I am sure I must be OK not to inform as I am not on tablets insulin, or any injectable medication for diabetes. I must admit I was surprised when I read the details on the renewal form, especially as the practice nurse was so insistent I had to inform DVLC and might lose my licence - probably if someone does have to declare on the form then it will open up another set of forms and questions to reply to. I have never looked further into it than the renewal form and the tick boxes.